I NEED Real Ideas! If you were able to attend the Magicmeet this year...

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by ColleenMarie, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

what kind of seminar would you like Tim Devine to have for you?

..think mousefest...

same idea, different place~

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Re: If you were able to attend the Magicmeet this year...

Sounds VERY intriguing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

Alright, lemme change this up a bit...

If you could attend a convention type Disney event,
    who would you like to see and what would you like to learn or hear about???

I'm talking authors, radio personalities, cast members, imagineers...

Gimme some ideas people!!

I am serious about this question~

4. PolynesianMedic

Tim Devine, Lou, Testa, John Lasseter to name a few.

5. John Lasseter, I would be there!

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Notwithstanding the fact that Disney has put all major projects not previously approved by BOD action (Extreme Home Makeover: Disneyland Parking Lot Theme Park Edition, coming to ABC Fall '09), what their plans are for DHS.

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i am very curious to hear what the attendees would want from a TMIP breakout... i have some ideas to send you if that i need to flush out.

8. How about a live version of our elements and derivatives game? Tim, you pick a picture to start. Everyone brings a stack of Disney pictures or laptop and the game works the same way. :D

9. PolynesianMedic

How about a revamped meet from Mousefest, maybe your 101 lecture or something along those lines, Tim.

10. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

perhaps the "where am i" game would work better? remember there are some SERIOUS time constraints. if i do this, i would be about 5 mins on the back end.

yes, i was thinking about that... less technical, more picture-focused, with the key on composition and timing as opposed to techno-babble. a laptop with projector would facilitate this immensely.

11. PolynesianMedic

sounds interesting. I would definitely be there to learn from the master. ;)

12. gary

gary Member

how about a workflow/processing session, bring a couple raw photos on a card and walk everyone through to the finished product, i think post processing fear keeps some in the green box
    is this technically doable with a laptop and a projector????

13. Paul

Paul Member

I second Gary's idea. I think a post processing session would make sense at MagicMeets. Mousefest allows you to get out into the parks and have a Photo 101 session that focuses on taking photos. A post processing session could show how to go about fixing typical issues one might have when they get back from a shoot and see that they don't quite have the perfect photo (without getting into too much detail).

14. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

I like Gary's idea too. I work the event and usually take the breakout time to rest. I would actually sit in on that one. A photo 101 session would probably be just as popular.

I was reading the allears blogcentral and read about a photo scavenger hunt they did. I'm thinking that could work at Magicmeet. I can go get a link if anyone wants some details.

Fred (the head of Magicmeet) had mentioned maybe doing a photo contest for the Magicmeet. The kind where the winners would be announced at the event...

John Lasseter would be an incredible get!

Lou Mongello will most certainly be there.
    Len Testa has been at the meet but doesn't always speak at them.

15. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I really think that if Tim does a 101 type breakout, it needs to be more focused on composition and "story telling" with the Point & Shoot as the device used as the "Visual Aid". Sometimes, I think the sea of dSLR users at Tim's MouseFest meet scares those people who want to learn how to take better pictures but only own a P&S.

Some post processing instruction is nice, but every tool is different. Maybe if we could find the simplest of tools is used as the "proof of concept". Maybe something like Google's Picassa. It's free and seems to have some of the most desired tweaks. That way, if it's done properly, one can be sold on the power of RAW using a free tool (aka something everyone can afford).

Picture contests are nice, but as the LTAD folks found out sometimes it flops. Theirs at MouseFest seemed to have a lot of participants but noone submitted any pictures for entrance into the contest except the hosts' children.

Hate to say this, but to get a better feel for what people might want to hear you might want to pose a question on Lou's Disneyworld Trivia site. I think his members better represent a cross-section of the type of people that go to MouseFest. We at TMIP are hard-core fans of photography. And I would feel safe to say, not the target audience at an event like MagicMeets which is far more intimate than MouseFest and probably only has a smaller population of our kind ;)

16. PolynesianMedic

a processing 101 class would be cool too! just the basics on the process of taking a RAW to a great looking photo!

17. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

I posted a similar question on the DIS and got alot of speaker suggestions that was helpful.

Fred had said the same thing about Tim doing a seminar more directed at the 101 group, the P&Sers. I like the idea of having a chance to sit in on an advanced class for us DSLR folks. There are mini breakouts on Friday nite, saturday nite and sunday morning, maybe he could opt in for one of those for the advanced group and do the 101 seminar during the main event on saturday afternoon.

18. Grumpwurst

Wow! 2 breakout sessions. If Tim decides to do that, it would be MAJOR props to him

19. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

It's not for sure yet. We are moving things around and getting our ducks lined up to figure out who's gonna speak at this year's meet. I have honestly been pushing Tim on Fred. *I* want photo seminars, it's up to us to convince Fred that Tim is worthy and will fill the rooms.

20. Grumpwurst

Good point Colleen!

I never thought of that aspect of the equation. Even though people think something is a good idea for a breakout, it may not put butts into the seats. Since he has limited break-out room availability, those that happen on "the day" need to be filled to the brim like Steve Barrett's Hidden Mickey breakout and Lou Mongello's Adventureland breakout. So, I'm sure Fred wants to have some kind of indicator that a photography related breakout session will bring more than 4 people...hahah (me, tim, Colleen, Gary)