I hate getting pictures printed!

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by HPS3, May 16, 2012.

1. HPS3

HPS3 Member

I don't know if I'm crazy or what. Every time I get pictures printed they never look as good as they do on my computer or iPad or iPhone. I edit on my Asus Laptop which is calibrated by a Spyder 3 Pro. When I review the photos on the computer they look great. Yesterday I dropped off my photos at Sam's to be printed(just my vacation copies for my albums). When I got them back today they just seem a little underexposed and dull. Do you think my problem is my laptop monitor or the printing? I want to blow up a couple but I'm worried that they won't look good. Where do you order prints? Any recommendations on paper type? I haven't printed many photos since I started being serious in photography.

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Sam's might be part of the problem. ; Each machine is calibrated to a certain level and some will even try to automatically fix your processing for you! ; This has been a problem for a very long time - even before digital with print film coming from consumer print machines having this problem.

Do you have a local photo store? ; They may have their machines calibrated and you can adjust your workflow with their calibration, then it would be WYSIWYG.

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

I had similar problems printing locally because the machines auto correct the images. ; The assumption the printing places make is that the photographer didn't do any processing so they set up the machines to correct the images in a way that will make most of them "look better". ; The problem of course is that if you did process your images, the auto correction will make the images look bad.

As Roger suggested, you might try finding a local photo store that does prints to see if they'll print them for you without correcting them. ; Another alternative is to use some of the online printers as several of them allow you to turn off the auto correction when you place the order. ; I use Mpix Pro which doesn't offer auto correction at all. ; The regular Mpix site allows you to turn off the correction, as does Bay Photo and Adoramapix.

4. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Thanks for replying. I thought about Mpix or Adoramapix. I think I'll try one of them for my 16 X 20.

5. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

As Michael stated, Mpix & Adorama both do a Great job. I have been using Adorama exclusively for about 4 or 5 years now and absolutely love their quality. They do offer you the OPTION of correcting your photos which I NEVER accept. When I receive my prints, they typically look as good or better than they do on my monitor.

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I've used an assortment of printers - MPix for my large prints that I sell, Shutterfly for my medium and small prints, some of the 8x10 sizes I have sold as well, and even Costco, which has done a surprisingly good job, mostly for smaller prints I share with family. ; The main thing for me was to test print a few at home on my photo printer with no printer corrections applied, to make sure my monitor and printer were able to deliver the same thing - once those were calibrated, I could send my photos to be printed with a request to not apply any corrections, and I get back just what I wanted to see.

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

MPIX Pro will print a couple of 8x10's for free as part of a welcome packet when you open an account, allowing you to test both the print quality and color match to your monitor.

8. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Thanks for the tip about Mpix.