How to pack camera when you cannot use camera bag?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Grumpwurst, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

OK....me again with another panic-induced question.

The key to a adoption trip to China is packing light. ; But, you also want fabulous pictures and video to document the trip for posterity. ;

I have been told that I can take my body, 2 lenses, tripod and flash unit for equipment (plus all necessary batteries and media).

Well, we are allowed 2 carryons per person and Nancy is adamant that one of them won't be my camera bag. ; Her plan is two rolling bags in the overhead bin and two backpacks. ; We are only checking one bag. ; I must remind you we are packing for 20 days and will be doing a lot of flip and reuse (I know it sounds gross but this isn't a vacation, this is a trip to get our son and it's a common practice).

My question is, how can I safely pack my camera stuff in a backback without the benefit of having all those cushy compartments? ; I will be putting one lens on the camera. ; Which lens I don't know is better. ; The two lenses will be the 18-200VR and the 50/1.8

The flash unit is no problem. ; It's ideal for stashing in spare nooks and crannies. ; Same thing with the media, cords and batteries.

Any advice from seasoned travelers who may have been in the same carryon predicament?

2. Paul

Paul Member

Re: How to pack camera when you cannot use camera

Well I can't speak from experience, but I would assume you need something that can conform to the camera and lenses without adding to much wasted space while also protecting it. ; Perhaps something like these would help:

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.ht ... um=722-19R

Or maybe even bubble wrap?

3. Paul

Paul Member

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

put the zoom lens on the camera and pack the 50 inside and around several pairs of socks then wrap layers of clothes around the whole thing.

5. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Agreed. ; I wouldn't waste the money (or the space) on something that doesn't serve a function for the trip. ; Not only that, but unless those carry-on bags are really being abused, nothing is going to happen to that 50 1.8.

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Any chance on maybe picking up a mixed-use backpack that is designed to hold camera gear with good padding, but also has plenty of room for other personal things in the backpack? ; I know Craig and I both have stuffed other odds and ends into our Kata backpacks - since they are compartmentalized...and some designs even more specifically have a camera section and a personal goods section kept completely separate.

If that's not possible, then I'd agree on putting the 18-200 on the camera and finding either a camera-body case, or bubblewrap which should be plenty soft and secure in a backpack or carryon bag...and the 50mm which is small and light enough to easily wrap in a sock and stuff in a shoe in your bag.

7. gary

gary Member

i agree with all of the above, use clothing for padding, i've done it many times for ski trips, wrapping long underwear, etc around the skis in the bag

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Ray if you have a backpack with a laptop padded compartment, put the camera and lenses in there and you can surround it with a t-shirt if you want a little more padding. ; I used a laptop bag for a while before finally getting a camera bag.