How Much Is Too Much HDR?

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Imaginerd, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Imaginerd

Imaginerd Member

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I prefer the first one, the other ones go a little too much into HDR for my tastes plus the sky gets all watercolorey.

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

First one for me too, for pretty much the same reasons as Roger.

4. gary

gary Member

#1 for me for the same reasons

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'd go with the first myself. ; Though HDR is a personal thing - some love it wild and some love it mild.

For me, I pretty much draw my personal line with HDR when you start to see white haloing or light painting around objecs or words - that for me is when it starts to look to fake or processed. ; See how the balloon and the palm trees on the right have a white aura all around them? ; That makes it stand out too much as a processed work and I tend towards liking reality in shots.

Though again, not a criticism - HDR is all up to what you like and want to convey - as is photography itself!

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i am going for #1. ; subtlety is key here.

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

#1 for me as well. ; I like the high contrast of the HDR but I do not like the "fake" or fantasy look of it.

8. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'll put in a vote for the third one. ; While I normally don't like over-the-top HDR, this one has gone far enough over the top to become a painting-like work of art.

I hope that's the result you were going for. :)

Welcome to the forums.

9. ELinder

ELinder Member

Obviously HDR is a very subjective , er, subject. ; :)

I'll go with, none of the above. The first one is closest for me, but I would have tried to pull a lot more light into the shadows and water reflection.

Erich

10. Imaginerd

Imaginerd Member

Thanks for everyone replying. And at first when I did this piece I loved the third one for how it was taking on a different look and started to not look like a photo. However with time I liked the first one because of the slight "popness" to the balloon without taking away some other elements (water, trees, and rocks.) And I will take your advice Erich next time!