How I learned to stop worrying and remembered to turn SSS (VR) off.....(Wishes)

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by Roger, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

[​IMG]

:eek:

Yep, at least half of my Wishes photos taken next to Michael Saturday night turned out like that one. ; Castle blurry, FW sharp.

But here are the better of the others:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ELinder

ELinder Member

Wait, i'm confused. The castle was blurred when the VR was on, but the fireworks stayed sharp? Why would that be, because the VR was moving the elements during the long exposure (as in ND filter long exposure), and the castle was always lit and blurred, but the fireworks were only visible a short time and thus not blurred?

Erich

3. Roger

Yeah that's what I'm figuring. ; There is a reason they tell you to turn it off when using a tripod.

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

Interesting. On both my longer lenses, the manual says the VR can stay on. On my 300mm, when I have the 2x teleconverter attached, I can definitely see thru the viewfinder as the scene stabilizes when the VR engages. But I haven't done any long exposures like that. Sounds like it's time to go out and experiment some.

Oh, and cool pics!

Erich

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

At least you figured it out! ; Actually, it's hit or miss with stabilization on a tripod. ; I've had random results - from taking dozens of tripod shots with no blur at all and stabilization on, to getting no shots without blur when it's on. ; Or 3 fine shots, and 1 affected. ; So I finally got used to just turning it off, to be safe, when I'm doing long exposures on a tripod.

Nice shots, BTW...the last bunch. ; :)

6. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

Think about it - the castle is stationary so any compensation for VR will cause those specks of light to "move" on the sensor. If something is moving (quickly) across the frame, chances are you won't see this movement. This would result in the pyro stars to look sharp while the steady lights on the castle to "blur".

It's simply good advise to turn VR off when you're on a steady platform. If the camera is not moving, you don't need it. Chances are that VR on a tripod mounted camera will cause heart ache. It's easy enough to turn off (if you remember! ; ;) ; )

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great shots! ; And a good lesson that I learn from this, thanks for sharing!!!

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Finding out how IS/VR work on a tripod is about the only thing I look at a lens manual for. ; Some of the Nikon lenses can work on a tripod with VR on like the 70-200VRl ; But the superzooms (18-200 and 28-300) need VR turned off when working on a tripod.

Roger, could I use that first image for a blog about about it? ; That's the most extreme example I have ever seen. ;

9. Roger

That'll be fine Scott!

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

At least you got some sharp shots that night. ; I would have never thought that fireworks would do that to a shot with VR turned on until you showed me one of the shots on the back of your camera.

Here's a three of mine from that night:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  11. dishippy

dishippy Member

I've never really had too much problem with long exposures and having the VR on, but if makes sense that it would happen. Good lesson before my upcoming trip. Especially because it's my nikon d90's first trip to WDW! *sniff sniff* I'm so proud! Lol. :) Now I just need to remember to turn it off and then back on later. Lol.

12. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i always turn my off. ; force of habit, but not a bad one to have.

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I've forgotten to turn VR back on a few times. ; That is why I now include my lens' settings when I zero out my camera settings each time I go out. ;

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

15. ELinder

ELinder Member

Michael, wow, those are awesome! I especially like the middle one.

Erich