How about some splash mountain!

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by joedisney, Nov 17, 2006.

1. joedisney

joedisney Member

My wife's favorite ride, I wont dare get on it :-\ But I will stand on the bridge and watch people take the plunge. Photo taken with canon 20D/17-40 f4, I upped the saturation and contrast a bit, I really like my images to be colorful!
    [​IMG]

2. here's my take on that ride. Taken using a Canon A80.

[​IMG]

3. Dan

Dan Member

On my last Disney trip I spent some time standing on the bridge overlooking Splash Mountain with my 70-200 mounted on my camera, with one goal: To get lots of goofy splash mountain faces. I ended up getting quite a few decent shots, even one where you can see a woman's hat flying off her head (but it's too blurry, I won't post it here). I don't know the people I'm posting, these were just what I got standing on the bridge waiting for memorable expressions.
    Regarding the second shot I'm posting.. it was the strangest thing. These people hoisted the flag as they were going around that one outside loop that takes you near the bridge, where you pass underneath the drop zone for the water that gets shot out of the air cannons.
    And then for the third shot, the air cannons in action. What fascinated me was some of the large water structures, it's not just water drops. It almost looks like there's some bubbles, or roundish sheets of water coming down with the smaller drops.

I was dissapointed. I KNOW I remember them shooting water out onto the bridge when the ride vehicles went down the big flume drop. I was looking forward to getting shots of people on the bridge being surprised by being soaked from water falling from the sky. But they seem to have stopped that water jet. At first I thought they'd just turned it off for winter, but it wasn't happening this summer either.
    Still I wouldn't have been able to get these shots if that was still happening. I was probably right in prime soaking territory had that big air cannon been in operation.

I have a plan that I swear I'll put into action one of these days.. I want to bring a gorilla mask onto Splash Mountain and wear it for the final drop when you get photographed. My sister and I always used to work out things to do for the camera. Once we all did the Vulcan "live long and prosper" sign, once we did see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.. my favorite was when her boyfriend was wearing a full on vampire looking cape (for no specific reason that I was aware of, other than to be odd) and they acted out a little dracula moment on the boat, with him leaning over and appearing to be about to bite her neck, with his cape draped around his outer arm, and with my sister looking terrified.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

as far as i can remember, dan, the air cannon went off every other drop. didnt notice if it was working this year or not, but it didnt occur to me as if something was missing. maybe i missed it?

5. Tim

here we go....

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

6. gary

gary Member

air/water canon was not working during my visit 10/15-10/22 this year, and it certainly was hot enough, 91,93,91,91 for 4 out of 7, it used to be going off and soaking the bridge, last time i saw it working it was sequencing to every 3rd boat, i was always amazed at how some people never notice the obvious, soaked people, soaked bridge and bushes and there was always someone surprised by the water raining down on them
    dan, great facial captures of expressions
    gary

7. I personally don't like the water cannons. ;D But on every trip we rode it at least 12 times and for every single ride the water cannons work. :p

8. JoePenniston

JoePenniston Member

Splash at night...

[​IMG]

9. wdwnut4life

wdwnut4life Member

luv SM! Saw some awesome videos on YouTube!

10. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I've only got one in my recent galleries, taken in December...I was also enjoying taking the expressions of the people in the boat!:

[​IMG]

Tim, that 3rd shot is great - I've never tried taking a picture from that spot, but I think I will next time!

11. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Fun on the Ride...

[​IMG]

Bridge From the Ride...

[​IMG]

and Ride From the Bridge...

[​IMG]

12. wdwnut4life

wdwnut4life Member

man I luv Splash! If u go to YouTube, type in "Splash Mountain" there some awesome videos there of SM! I'm svhnut there! check out my faves! :)

13. Tim

gdad, #1 looks like the front row at a gallagher concer... funny pic

14. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Thanks- We all had on ponchos because it was raining anyway. Then when I took the picture we got drenched from the other boat. Luckily I was using my little Pentax W20 waterproof P&S that day.

15. Funster

Funster Member

Wow, a lot of these photos are just wonderful. I can't believe the amazing color the photos have. I espcially love the one photo of splash at night.

16. RobbieBoy

RobbieBoy Member

I really wish that they would have this actraction in Disneyland Resort Paris. I would love to go on
    this one

17. wdwnut4life

wdwnut4life Member

svhwdwnut on YouTube. add me as a friend everyone, I'll add y'all!