Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by disneydave, Jun 15, 2011.

1. disneydave

disneydave Member

Hello all.

My name is David. I've been collecting vintage Disney for around 20 or so years. I am interested in the early history of the Walt Disney Company and the Disney brothers between 1901 and 1945. ; I collect only 1930s-era Mickey Mouse items, including the theater-based Mickey Mouse Club; Disney Christmas-related items; paper items with great Disney graphics; and Disney toys with their original boxes. I also collect Disney WW II insignia and home front items and have one of the largest collections of such items, numbering around 200 or so pieces.

I am a freelance writer and have self-published a book on Disney's involvement in the war (Toons At war). I've written numerous magazine and newspaper articles on Disney collectibles and Disney history. I'm in the process of researching and writing two more Disney books: one looks at the history of the Hyperion Studio location, covering the years 1925-1939, and the other is the biography of Disney artist Henry "Hank" Porter, who Walt Disney once referred to as a "one man art department."

I have conducted research at the Company Archives in Burbank, when it was still open to the general public, and I share my knowledge through two blogs I run:

http://www.toonsatwar.blogspot.com (currently down for maintenance, covers the war years)

http://www.vintagedisneymemorabilia.blogspot.com (covers the history and merchandise of the early years from 1928-1945, but mainly the 1930s)

I've been to Disneyland many, many times, and I worked at WDW in the World Showcase Fellowship Program back in the late 1980s.

Back in 2007 I was asked by Walt Disney's daughter Diane Disney Miller, to be a Consultant, Special Projects, at the new Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. I've had the pleasure of going down to the Museum on several occasions and have worked with Diane, her husband Ron, and their son Walter.

I also give seminars/lectures on Disney topics. On June 25, 2011 I'll be at the Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet, in Lynwood, Washington (just north of Seattle), along with keynote speaker Jack Lindquist, Disney Legend and animator/storyman Floyd Norman, and fellow Disney historian and writer Jeff Kurtti. I'l be giving a presentation on Disney combat insignia of WW II.

I live in a suburb of Vancouver, British Columbia, and I look forward to being part of this community.

Cheers!

David

2. highland3

highland3 Member

Hi David!!!

Welcome to our friendly little neighbourhood.

3. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Welcome to the site

4. obo101

obo101 Member

Greetings Dave!

5. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

Welcome Dave!

6. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Welcome to the site Dave. ; Glad to have you aboard! ; And what a fantastic intro. ; Looking forward to hearing your insite!

7. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

welcome!