Hello from Texas!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by selphj, May 11, 2011.

1. selphj

selphj Member

Hello all. ; My name is John and I'm the proud owner of a new D7000. ; Prior to this I've been a canon user, but I decided Nikon was the better way to go for me and turned to the dark side. ; I've been a long time Disney fan, first went in the early 80s and been going back ever since. ; I've been married 10 years and have a 1.5 year old. ; I understand photography basics fairly well, but I don't think I have a very good eye particularly when it comes to people shots. ; But I have always enjoyed doing disney pictures. ; The scary thing is, I just got this D7000 when I'm going to WDW in early June. ; So I'm cramming myself learning how it performs. ; I will try to put up some WDW pictures from past trips I've done.

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Welcome to the forums John, from down the road a bit!

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

welcome aboard, john!

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Indeed welcome John. ; Rather than worrying about a first Disney trip with new camera in hand, see it as an amazing opportunity to put the camera to trial by fire, and really see what it can do! ; I took a cruise the day after receiving my newest DSLR body - I hadn't even read the manual when I was on deck and shooting...it was so much more fun learning the camera and its abilities with that great scenery than taking dozens of photos around my house of cans, pillows, and my cat!

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Welcome John! Can't wait to see your photos, both new and old.

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

From one John (and D7000 user) to another, welcome!

7. goofmick

goofmick Member

Welcome John!

8. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Welcome, John. ; I hope that remark about the "dark side" only refers to the color of your lenses. ; :D

As one also developing "people skills," the best advice I can give is find shots you like and copy their style. ; Over time, you'll develop your own style.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Welcome, John!

When it comes to getting up to speed fast with a Nikon dSLR, I recommend checking out Ken Rockwell's website.

Here is his Nikon D7000 Online User Guide

He will start you out with his settings which tend to be very vibrant but from there you can adjust the camera's settings to your liking. ; Have fun at WDW!

10. gary

gary Member

welcome aboard

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Welcome!

12. Paul

Paul Member

Welcome to the forums John!