Heading to Contemporary in August

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by prettypixie, Jan 18, 2012.

1. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

My husband is attending a conference at the Contemporary in August. I'll be hitting the World Aug. 5 - 12. Anyone else going to be there at that time? Any advice for the hotel OR the parks? I'll be going with my mother and daughters (5 years and 3 years).

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

It will be hot and humid. But it will probably be better than Texas at that time!!! But the hotel is nice; Chef Mickey's is there. ; I haven't been there since they redid the bottom floor however.

The only other thing is that it may be quicker to walk to MK from the hotel. ; The monorail goes in the opposite direction from the hotel to the park. ; (but it's the first stop heading back!)

3. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Thanks Roger - I didn't know the monorail went in the OPPOSITE direction. That will be nice at the end of the day. Leave MK and the hotel is the first stop!

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yep.

The Express Monorail from the TTC to MK goes counterclockwise, through the Contemporary without stopping. ; It returns to the TTC the long way around. ; The hotel monorail goes clockwise MK-Contemporary-Poly-Grand Floridian.

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

You absolutely want to walk to MK. ; About 10 minutes or so. ; I stayed at Bay Lake a few times and love the ability to walk. ; And Roger is correct, it will be HOT! ; Most of our trips are in August, just take the afternoon break and you will be fine.

We check in to Beach Club on the 11th, staying until the 18th.

6. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I agree. ; We stayed there last trip and it was much better and faster to walk. ; It's a nice 10 min walk and if you stay till park closing you will not have to fight the crowds trying to get on the Monorail and by the time you would have waited in line you will probably be back at the hotel.

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I'll be there and staying at bay lake most likely. ; See you there. ; And yes, walk to and from MK. ;

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Chef Mickey's is awesome for breakfast, plan on being in the park first thing, then take the mid-day break and go back to the park for late afternoon / evening and all will be well.

9. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Any tips on how many days I should plan on booking at the world? Especially with how crowded this time of year is, I want to get AT LEAST a five day pass. Do you guys think I need more?

10. gary

gary Member

figure out the maximum amount of days you would be in a park on this trip, price out whatever length of stay is called these days, i think it's called magic your way, but it's changed so many times i'm not sure anymore
    compare that price against an annual pass , don't forget to get complete tax and all costs, you might be approaching enough days for an annual pass, esp the basic pass, not the premium, don't forget, owning an annual makes a compelling argument for that 2nd trip within a year, such as pixelmania, which would fall within your use year

11. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Interesting...Thanks Gary!

12. Tim

Once I know our days in August, I will let you know. It would be nice to meet up and maybe grab a cold one. See you then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Sounds good. Keep me posted.

14. Tim

drinks at the top of the world!

15. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Figures! ; I choose to stay at Beach Club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Tim

dates, john? ; beach club is our backup plan... but it might become #1 because billy loves stormalong bay so much.

17. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That is why we chose it, there from the 11th through the 18th. ; When are you heading down?

18. Tim

probably be gone before you get there... ;

19. mSummers

mSummers Member

I'll actually suggest the opposite when it comes to the monorail. ; I would suggest riding the long way around in the morning when you are not tired and/or have a shot at getting a seat and walking back at night. ; Depending on the crowds, you could end up standing in line for the monorail longer than it takes to walk back to the Contemporary. ; Plus by riding in the morning, you get to enjoy the views on your way around.

20. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Thanks for all the tips. I've booked a breakfast at Chef Mickey's and a lunch at Cinderella's castle. Now I just need to order the park tickets.