Handheld Blue Hour photos, from Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by zackiedawg, May 22, 2014.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

During Pixelmania this past December, we all did some blue-hour shooting at Animal Kingdom - with tripods and long exposures. When I was back in January, I was too lazy to bring my tripod, so I decided to do some blue-hour shooting handheld, raising the camera ISO and using the stacking feature in the camera to merge multiple photos into one. It works pretty well - when you don't feel like lugging a lot of gear around! Anyway, here are some of those pre-blue hour and blue hour shots:

The river landing area in Asia, with the great angle on the bridge that I showed Tim during Pixelmania!:
    [​IMG]

Yak & Yeti:
    [​IMG]

The Anandapur river view from the Asia bridge:
    [​IMG]

Everest from across the lake:
    [​IMG]

Yeti Palace Hotel:
    [​IMG]

Lights over the village:
    [​IMG]

The ice cream truck:
    [​IMG]

Everest from the village below:
    [​IMG]

Tree of Life and reflection:
    [​IMG]

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Another nice series Justin!

3. zackiedawg

Thank you John!

4. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Member

Those are some amazing pictures, what camera did you use? I picked up a Samsung Galaxy S5 it takes some amazing pictures and it does 4k rez video. My last Disney vacation in 2004 I had a bulky camera and camcorder. And my ex~wife and I kept trading off who was going to hold the camcorder. This way I will be take pictures and video with out breaking my back carrying around a cam corder.

P.S. I am planing on going to Disney in 2014 or may of 2015

Greg

5. zackiedawg

Thank you Greg. The shots above were taken with a Sony A580 DSLR, and an 18-250mm lens. I generally bring two cameras with me to Disney - either the DSLR when I don't mind lugging around more weight and heavier lenses...and a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (Sony NEX line) for when I still want the big sensor, but a much smaller, more portable camera. I generally haven't been too much into video - mostly still shooting.

I'm not too far from Disney (3hr drive) so I go fairly often - about 4-5 times a year, usually for 4 days at a time. Some trips I go with family, some with a friend or two, and some I go solo. I'm headed up this July with family, and again in September, which I might do solo. Then in December, I'll likely be going with a buddy of mine from Texas who comes down every 2 years or so for a Disney trip.

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

nice set Justin.
    I came up with a new name for that style of shooting: "pre-blur, pre-blue, handheld". :)

7. zackiedawg

That needs an acronym...PBPBH?

8. artdecade

artdecade Member

I'm really impressed with these photos! It looks like you take great pride in your work and you really do a nice job. Fantastic!

9. zackiedawg

Thank you artdecade...much appreciated! I do enjoy photography - it's great fun and very relaxing.