Ham Ham's March 2008 Holiday

Discussion in 'Disney Theme Park Discussion' started by Ham Ham, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Day 1: Sunday March 9th.

We pulled out our driveway in Mississauga but not before having used my snow thrower for the fourth time in less than 36 Hours dealing with the 50 cms of snow that was dumped on us

We dropped off the puppy at my cousins and headed for the Niagara Frontier. Our Southwest flight scheduled to take off at 18:30 from BUF

75 Minutes later we we sitting on the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge. Before we left I checked the website, listened to the radio stations, no delay announced so I decide to go for the bridge I always recommend avoiding.
    Wrong!
    We waited 45 minutes to enter the states.

Once in the States we hit the outlets for some last minute shopping. Stopped at Borders book store near the Walden Galleria and had a wonderful late lunch at Famous Dave's BBQ on Walden Avenue just west of I-90 on the south side.

Arrived at BUF around 16:15 dropped off the Hamettes with the luggage at the terminal ; and I headed off to the long term parking lot. Shuttle arrived in less than 5 minutes and a short ride back the terminal, met the girls and off to the TSA line. 40 Minutes later we cleared security and were off to the gate to wait for the plane with an hour to spare for out 18:30 departure. I headed for the restroom so I could change into my shorts and put on my crocs.

The plane was delayed 50 minutes so we took off at 19:20.

Trouble free flight to MCO. No checked luggage so we were off to Budget to pick up our mid-size car at a rate of $117.00 taxes in.
    Once at the counter, Budget gave us a free updrade to a Suzuki XL-7. My nine year old love the back row of seats. She called it her cave.

Arrived in our room at Boardwalk Villas around 23:30, ordered in some pizza and fries.
    Once ; our late dinner was done we were happy to hit the hay in our one bedroom villa for our first DVC vacation..

2. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear from you....can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

3. realfam

realfam Member

Look forward to seeing some pics and hearing some more................

4. amw

amw Member

Welcome back ... Tell us more ; ;D

5. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Day 2: Monday March 10

We had planned just to have a lazy first day but we decided to head to Disney Hollywood Studios.

After embarking on the dock on the boardwalk it was a quick trip over to DHS.
    Rock'n'Roll Coaster was our first stop then it it was off to Tower of Terror.

An early lunch at the 50's Primetime Cafe. My wife was forced to eat her veggies by our server.

The next stop was the Studio Back Lot Tour followed by Muppet Vision 3D.

We took the The Magic of Disney Animation workshop. Let's just say that I still can't draw very well.

We headed back to the resort. My DW and I went to Publix to pick up supplies for the kitchen.
    Once back at the resort it was off to the clown pool for some Florida sunshine.

Around 19:00 we headed over to EPCOT to see Oh Canada and catch Illuminations. Wow what a show.

6. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

Enjoying your report Ham! ; How did you like the Boardwalk...pros and cons. ; We have never done the Disney Animation, hoping to do that this coming trip....sound like it is fun.

LOL! ; I read about you using the Queenston Lewiston bridge.....that wait time sneeks up very quickly on that bridge...we avoid it most of the time too!

7. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Day 3: Tuesday March 12

Waking up not having to leave the room for breakfast was great. The Hamettes had toast & cereal.
    I enjoyed a bowl of bran buds topped with yogurt.

Tonight we are going to the Pirate and Princess Party.

We decide to head to the Priemium Outlets near Disney World, DD 13 found some really cool shoes.

Once done there we headed to The Loop in Kissimmee a new shopping area at Osceola Parkway and John Young Parkway. My eldest DD found a dress for her Grade 8 graduation and my youngest scored lots of great spring clothes at JC Penny.

We then went to Chik-fil-a for lunch.

Once back at the resort it was into the bathing suits and off the clown pool and quiet pool at the Boardwalk Villas. DD9 loved the community hall, ping pong, air hockey, video games and free DVD rentals for DVC members.

At 15:15 we were waiting for the bus to take us to MK for the PPP.

Bus arrived at 15:30 and after a stops and The Swan and The Dolphin we arrived at MK at 15:47.

PPP is an extra separate admission for the event from 19:00 to 00:00. Disney however will let you in from 16:00.

Between 16:00 & 19:00 we road, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Buzz Light Year, Astroblaster, Mickeys Philharmagic, Small World, Thunder Mountain & Pirates of the Carribean. We never had to wait to board an attraction.

From 19:00 on there were "X" stations located through out the MK where we picked up our loot.

At 20:00 we found a piece of sidewalk on Main Street, enjoyed hot dogs from Casey's and waited for the parade at 20:30.

The parade started with floats featuring the various Disney Princesses and then the Pirates arrived, from Peter Pan to Pirates of the Caribbean.

The youngest Hamette 9 was becoming sleepy. I suggested we head for the train station at the start of Main Street and use the chairs on the mezzanine to watch the fireworks at 21:45.

AT 21:45 the best fireworks I've ever seen in my life began. Magic, Music & Mayhem, 10 + minutes of thundering and booming that filled my peripheral vision and the sky. With out giving away too much the castle is attacked by the pirates.

Once the fireworks were done it was off to the bus and back to our room.

8. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Sounds like that would be a real big treat!!

LOL, they don't let you get away with hiding the veggies either. ; Sean and I both were forced.

What did the Ham Ham family draw at Disney Animation? ; When we went we had to draw Donald Duck, I still have mine which I think is a close likeness.

Sounds like you have a great time so far. ; Looking forward to hearing more:)

9. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Day 4,5,6,7

I'm condensing the last few days into one post mainly because all we did ws basically lounge around the Luna Pool at the Boardwalk villas

Wednesday we slept in a few minutes after our long night at the Pirate & Princess Party. We headed down to the pool and the community hall for a few hours.

That afternoon at 16:00 my youngest DD 9 and I went to the Welcom home Wednesday put on by DVC. I was expecting it to be a marketing exercise on the part of DVC for us to buy more points.

We arrived at the Atlantic Dance Hall on the boardwalk where we we greeting by many CM's handing out balloons, taking our names and offering us brochures on DVC and what was new.
    Once inside it didn't take too long and a game show began. Three people were selected from the audience to be contestant. A few questions about DVC resorts and all the contestants went home with gift bags.

Then they asked the audience some questions for a chance for us to win some goodies. They also let us know that DVC Guides were available if we had any questions

Knowing Disney, ; for the folks who weren't picked everyone received a DVC Member baseball cap. Then we were done - ; no huge marketing gimmick just a thank you from DVC.

That evening we went to the boardwalk for some of the entertainment going on. Disney has buskers constantly putting on shows. DD 9 was picked to be a magician;s assistant for which she received an official certificate of thanks.

We headed to the pizza window at Spoodles to pick up a cheese pizza for dinner back in our room.

Thursday:
    Much like Wednesday during the day we hung out by the pool.
    We all went to the ESPN Cafe for an excellent lunch. I highly recommend the chicken wings. 10 % DVC discount at lunch at the ESPN Cafe
    That afternoon DD 13 and myself went out on a little shopping expedition.
    First stop was the rich persons mall. The Mall at Millenia. My goal was to check out one of the local Apple stores. We saw all the rich stores, simialr to ones that you find on Bloor Street in Toronto, Gucci, LV, Prada etc..

Then it was off to Festival Bay on I-drive. DD13 wanted to check out the Vans store for their shoes. Most of the mall is empty/abondoned not much to see other than the Vans Store. DD13 bought another bag!!!!!

Right across the street is the Newly renovated/updated Prime Outlets. Jackpot! Converse Store, Vans Store and a newly opened and huge
    Character Premier for all of Disney's discounted merchandise. Much bigger than the store near the park at the Premium Outlets. I believe this outlet mall was once called Belz (sp?).

Once back at the resort, time for another swim and a stroll on the boardwalk for more entertainment.
    Again picked up Pizza from Spoodles and back to the room.

Friday.

The Hamettes awoke and decided to all head out for bike ride. DW & DD9 had used the bikes on Thursday when DD 13 and I were shopping. ; They had a great time riding their bikes on the boardwalk and over to Beach/Yacht club and on to the Studios.

Once back we all went swimming. Headed out for some lunch and spent the afternnon at Disney Quest. Fun but way too loud! DD 9 designed and rode an intense roller coaster guaranteed to bring up your lunch but thankfully not hers.

Once that was done we went to see if there were any rush tickets for Cirque du Soliel. When I asked at the box off the ticket agent look at me like I was from outer space. She had no idea what rush tickets were. A rush ticket is usually a ticket that has not been sold for the next performance and are discounted. I wouldn't expcet anyone outside of the theatre to be familiar with this term but a box office agent?

Went back to Boardwalk for another night of entertainment. No pizza this time but we did head back to the ESPN Cafe for one more round of Wings. No discount at super time.

Back to the room to pack.

Saturday
    Woke up at 5:15, left the resort at 5:30 arrived at MCO at 5:55 dropped off the car, headed to security and were at the gate by 6:40.
    Flight left on time at 7:20 arrived back at BUF. Hopped the shuttle to our van and then headed home a great holiday.

I'm still planning on posting one more time giving my opinion on the high and low points of the trip.

10. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

Thanks for sharing Ham Ham!!! ; I love to read about other peoples trips! ; ;D

11. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Things I loved about our trip.

• Disney was not crowded at all. Never more than a 3 minute wait for a ride
    • Free DVC Valet parking
    • Pizza form Spoodles amazing.
    • Great wings at ESPN
    • Nice warm water in the Luna pool at the Boardwalk Villas.
    • Seeing the Hamettes happy.
    • Being totally relaxed
    • Free upgrade to an SUV at MCO. Thanks Budget.
    • Fireworks at the Pirate and Princness Party. The best fireworks I've ever seen.
    • Real American Unsweetened Ice Tea

Thing to improve on:
    • If you purchase a refillable mug at the Boardwalk there is no self service drink station for you to use. For refills, you must wait in line at the bakery, sweet shop, library lounge in the AM and any of the bars by the pools when they are open.
    • Any other resort we've been to has always had a place to refill your drink on your own
    • Boardwalk wood planks are quite slippery after a rain fall.
    • None of the full service sit down restaurants have ; take out available. I was informed that this due to the fact that the restaurants were inundated with takeout request, The CM ; did inform me that the same items are available through room service. OK so where do they cook the food. In our kitchens. I pointed out that the food will still be cooked in the kitchen so how will this reduce the kitchen being busy.
    • Toll Booths should be staffed in the evenings. I was exiting from 417 to Osecola PKW and the booth wasn't manned, no change machine, tossed in 50 cents Canadian, no dice, a taxi driver gave us 50 cents, threw it in said we only put in a quarter.....we drove off.

12. disney.barb

disney.barb Member

I went to a PPP when I was down on a solo trip Aug 2007. ;The park was close to deserted! ;Set up a tripod in the middle of Main St., and let it roll. ;I posted it on You Tube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pszZL1PXtE if anyone would like to have a look! ;The music was wonderful.
    [​IMG]