Grand Teton!

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by jtrain75, Apr 28, 2012.

1. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

I'm heading to Wyoming at the end of July! My initial plan was to go to Yellowstone, but ALL the hotels have very limited availability, so I think I'll spend most of my time photographing Grand Teton. Has anyone ever gone there? Any tips? I bought a photographers map that shows a lot of good places for photos. Can't wait!

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That sounds like an awesome trip!! ; I have not been so I have no advice, but I wish you the best of weather. ; I am looking forward to seeing all that you get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. gary

gary Member

yes i do, go on over to my photo site and look at the quest for the west trip from 2009, that was the adventures by disney trip we did, it started and ended in jackson, wyoming. we did some snake river rafting, some teton/jenny lake hiking, and on my own i did some sun rise mormon row photography. including the famous aj moulton barn. it's very easy to find, it's about 12 miles out of jackson, BUT, in july, you need to be there 45 minutes before sunrise, just to find a spot for your tripod, there can easily be 75 photographers there in the same field at sunrise, esp on a sat or sunday. the sun rises directly behind you and lights up grand teton face for about a half hour of great golden sun. plus i have a travelogue thread on here from the trip itself, titled quest for the west. link to page 1 below. sorry i just went to the thread again and the attachments are not there, i'll start to repost the links for them, i don't think i did it as hyperlinks to my site instead of just resized and posted

http://www.themagicinpixels.com/forum/non_disney_photos_mobile_phone_photos/quest_west_adventures_disney_82509_83109_5025.msg42875.html#msg42875

4. goofmick

goofmick Member

Even though you are staying in the Tetons you should still drive up to Yellowstone. ; It can make for a long day but is well worth it.

5. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

Thanks for the tip Gary, I'll check out that link. And mick I still plan on going to Yellowstone, it just won't be my primary focus. Thanks guys!

6. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Sounds like fun, ENJOY!

Gary, Thanks for sharing the link again. I had forgotten how awesome this trip report was. I enjoyed it all over again.

7. gary

gary Member

thanks, i'm working on restoring all the links, the old thread had resized photos, the redone photos are just hyperlinks which take up far less bandwidth so tim does not have to remove those to free up space

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That would be great Gary! ; I spent a while viewing that thread this morning until I got to where the images no longer were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. gary

gary Member

i'll get it all back eventually, but it's on a time available priority rating, ie: no work on it tomorrow, i'm off to stafford springs ct for the nascar whelan modified tour race, example of this type of race car below

; ; [​IMG]

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That sounds great, no rush!

11. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

Yeah I got to where the pics don't exist anymore too. The barn is on my list of must haves. Thanks for the tip on getting there early!

12. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

[glow=red,2,300]
    [glow=red,2,300]Trip was a blast!!!
    ; The first day was spent in Yellowstone just driving along the main highway and seeing the main attractions. Because we planned to spend most of the time in Grand Teton I only allotted one day in Yellowstone which I knew wasn't enough, but my main focus was GT. Anyway, just saw some waterfalls, bald eagles, thermal pools and Old Faithful. It was really cool just to be there in that historic range and see things you've only read about or saw in photos.
    The next day was spent driving along Jackson Lake and stopping along various researched spots to take photos. We were also scouting for some spots to return to later in the week.
    The following day we started out at Morman Row first thing in the morning. I caught the barn with Grand Teton behind it as the sun first rose over. From there we heard of some moose sightings in the area so decided to drive along Wilson Rd to look for moose. No moose that day, but caught a beaver crossing the road dragging a tree and stopped to take some cool photos of it.
    Later that night I left the hotel room to take photos of the Milky Way and try my hand at star trails. I wanted to use one of the houses or barns on Morman Row in the foreground. 2 am in the morning in the middle of nowhere is a scary experience! I parked on a turnout parking lot to take the milky way photos. I stayed in the middle so I can hear any animals that might walk on the asphalt. After taking the photos of the milky way I headed over to Morman Row for star trails.
    Morman row is literally in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road. As I'm setting up my camera I can hear buffalo grunting, coyotes howling and horses. After a few minutes I heard footsteps on the dirt road. I grabbed my camera and hauled out of there. Star trails will have to wait for another opportunity!!!
    The next day we spent looking for wildlife and just drove around before heading south to Colorado where I was meeting up with my wife for a week.
    During that week we visited Rocky Mountain National Park one day. We stopped at a turnout to rest. I noticed a creek and I wanted to take some photos of it. We walked along a path parrallel to the creek for about 10 minutes. All the sudden in the corner of my eye I noticed the unmistakable silouette of a moose. It was laying under a tree and was literally 8 feet away. I immediately stopped and signaled to my wife and daugher to stop and back up quietly.
    I stood about 15-20 feet away observing it when I noticed there was a calf with it. We hung around for about 20 minutes taking photos before going back. It was so cool to be that close to a moose and I thank my lucky stars that it didn't mind us being there. As long as she could see us she didn't mind.
    5 minutes later we saw another moose with a calf along the side of the road.
    All in all a fantastic experience that everyone should have. The Tetons is a magnificent place to go.
    I have a lot of photos, but here are some that I posted on Facebook. I hope you enjoy them and if you ever have a chance to go...DO IT!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Webb-Photography/92995436357?ref=hl#!/media/set/?set=a.10151066396351358.452631.92995436357&type=1