Frozen 2

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by jazzmine, Apr 28, 2014.

1. jazzmine

jazzmine Member

I recently watched an interview with Santino Fontana (Hans in Frozen) and he mentions that Josh Gad and Kristen Bell are really advocating for a Frozen 2. I wasn't especially impressed by Frozen, but it received a lot of critical acclaim and popular acknowledgement so I wouldn't be surprised if plans for a Frozen sequel actually became a reality. I wouldn't mind a sequel, but at the same time, I feel like Disney's attention could be better expended on other storylines.

What I mean by that directly references something Santino said that really struck me, “I spoke to the writers… and they were like we have an idea, we want to bring you back, we want to redeem you.”

Personally, I can't help but feel like I would absolutely hate that. I do not want a Frozen sequel that pivots around Hans' redemption and character development away from the delicious villain we see in Frozen. I believe that character development, keeping true to the character's nature, would only keep him rooted in that villainous foundation. Nature isn't something that can't be changed and even upon speculation that buried underneath Hans' actions is some integrity, I really don't want a movie about it.

I don't know. How do you all feel about the possibility?

2. trenchant

trenchant Member

I'm a little sick of how they're always trying to turn classic villains into "misunderstood hero" types of characters.
    I definitely prefer Hans as a solid villain; even if he did have other motives, they don't justify what he did.

I wasn't a huge fan of Frozen, but I'd appreciate a Frozen 2 - if only for the fact that I expect the music would be good.

3. isabbbela

isabbbela Member

First of all, yay if they are making a sequel!! I actually loved this movie so much and would be excited to watch Frozen 2 - even though I would be wary that it wouldn't be as good and I would be hugely disappointed.
    Now regarding Hans, I completely agree that the storyline shouldn't be about how he was a misunderstood hero! I loved him as a villain and thought it was very sneaky of Disney to have him as the good guy up until the end. That was the first time Disney got me fooled... even when I was a kid I wasn't fooled this well! When I watched Frozen I thought maybe Hans would end up with someone else or be the poor bachelor who didn't get the girl, but I didn't think he would be the villain of the story. Anyway, I hope the story is about Elsa and Anna, maybe this time about Elsa wanting to help and save Anna instead?

4. Bloomsie

Bloomsie Member

I think Frozen is one of Disney's best movies. I loved their music and quirkiness within the plot as a whole. So although I think that Frozen is great, I think they shouldn't create a Frozen 2. The only sequel Disney has ever made correctly was Lion King 2: Simba's Pride and Toy Story 3. The rest of the sequel's were ultimately terrible. I would hate for Frozen to lose it's limelight because their sequel was horrendous -- which it most likely would be.

5. NiaIsabelle

NiaIsabelle Member

Personally, I really liked Frozen. At first, I thought, "Why are people talking about this movie?" and "What is the hype about?". I got curious so I started watching the movie and surprisingly, I loved it. I hope that when they make the sequel for this movie, the sense and limelight of the first movie will be kept. I don't want the sequel to overshadow the first movie because it's horrible.

6. JGPangi

JGPangi Member

I liked Frozen too, if only for the musical score. It brought back memories of the good old Disney movies and yes, Hans was a well-hidden villain. Right up to the point where he revealed himself, I thought the bad guy was the Duke of 'Weaseltown' who was, admittedly, a pretty good bad guy as well.

Sequels have a bad habit of not turning out as you hoped, and a 'good guy Hans' doesn't sit quite right with me. Half the fun of a Disney movie is reveling in the dastardliness of the villains! Take a look at Cruella, Jafar and Maleficent. Spotlight-stealing wretches all, utterly irredeemable. This trend of villain rehabilitation is just so frustrating. What's wrong with kids knowing that sometimes, there are just bad guys in the world? You just have to be strong and deal with them the right way.

7. PvtParts

PvtParts Member

I'm all for a Frozen 2, if they expound on what worked in the first movie and improve on what didn't. I just hope they give a lot of thought and effort in the sequel. The last thing we want is a sequel for the sake of having a sequel.

Also, I hope they can create another song with the same emotional resonance to me as Let It Go. I think most people like that song out of the catchiness of it or the very talented singing of Ms. Menzel, but in my experience it was the whole scene itself. Everything about it was perfect.
    Her facial expressions when she realized she was finally free to test her own limits makes me smile every time I watch it! Her smile was the truth!

8. Anna Ramsey

Anna Ramsey Member

I do not think a Frozen 2 where Hans' is redeemed would be good. To quote my one of my kids favorite cartoons on TDC "A hero is a hero, but everyone loves a good villain." Seriously. Maleficent, Captain Hook, Ursula, Jafar, the list goes on. These great movies, including frozen, wouldn't be nearly as good if it weren't for some great villains.

9. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I think that a "Hans redemption" storyline would not have the same pull as the first movie did. Also, could they really call it "Frozen 2" after the finale of the first movie? (Especially if it centered on Hans)

10. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Member

Personally, I really enjoyed Frozen and thought it was a great addition the the Disney movies family. The movie did great in the box office and my younger family members loved it. Yes, Disney could utilize their time working on other projects right now but in the future I would not mind have a Frozen 2 hit the theaters.:rolleyes:

11. QueenElsa

QueenElsa Member

I liked it a lot, but I'm not sure about the concept for the sequel...Plus, the sequels rarely, if ever, turn out to be as good as the original. I don't think a redemption of Hans would turn out to be a very likable movie..

12. megara

megara Member

I'm actually a huge fan of stories from the viewpoint of the villain. I think that would make quite an interesting sequel! I'm not necessarily all for Hans being completely redeemed, but it would be a unique movie if they made it.

I wasn't super impressed with Frozen, it was about average for me as far as Disney movies go, but if they made a sequel I would definitely see it.

13. urRei

urRei Member

They should absolutely push for the sequel! :)

I really enjoyed the first movie but felt like it's lacking something... like some more romance perhaps? The movie focused more on Anna and Elsa's relationship, which is kind of unique compared to other Disney cartoons in the past that highlight love between the opposite sex (i.e. Beauty & the Beast, The Little Mermaid). As I'm used to those kind of plots, I expected the same from Frozen. I know, after all the singing, dancing and sweet exchanges between Hans and Anna, a lot were surprised and disappointed that they didn't end up together. Hans was really dashing! :p

Besides, if Kristoff is Anna's "prince charming", he should be given more exposure and heroic moments in order for people to love & accept him (lol) for Anna. A sequel is a must!

14. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

To be honest, I'm not that excited about it, I mean if it does get released I will see it, but no worries for me. The first one was good, but just that, it was not amazing or classic.

15. Aprax

Aprax Member

Frozen was a good movie, but I didn't think it was outstanding enough for me to warrant going to a theatre to watch the next one.

16. TheGrey

TheGrey Member

Has Disney really done sequels since they quit with the direct-to-DVD stuff? I know Pixar has, but I don't think Disney has. I kinda hope they don't. I feel like it would end up ruining a lot things that made Frozen so awesome and unique. Elsa would probably get a love interest, for one. If they tried to redeem Hans... that would just annoy me. I really liked that he betrayed them without giving ANY kind of hint about his intentions. No cryptic grin and wringing his hands while he giggles maniacally at the camera. Just BAM. Betrayed. I think making him into a good guy would kinda ruin that.

17. artdecade

artdecade Member

I'm personally on the fence with Frozen as a whole. The movie was cute, but it really didn't have the same depth that other recent disney films like Tangled did. I'm just not sure that it lived up to the hype that surrounded it. Of course, I'd give Frozen 2 a watch, but my expectations would probably not be super high.

18. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Member

Frozen was a great movie, one of the few that I can actually sit down and keep focused on for the entire movie. I am not as excited to see the second one though because the sequels are never as good as the original movies were.

19. 00003

00003 Member

Honestly, I try to be positive with all the movies I am watching. I always try to look on the bright side. I care less about the dark one. It just ruins my day while the bright one makes my day shine, gives me new strength, enlightens me and inspire me. So, I think I would really love a sequel, no matter which is it going to be all about.