Flying with camera equipment

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by haunteddoc, Aug 6, 2007.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Getting ready to head to WDW in a couple of days. Have never flown with my new Canon 30D. Has anyone had any trouble taking their equipment as a carry-on? I will have a LowePro sling pack. I plan on checking the tripod but am very leary about checking my camera equipment.

Haunteddoc

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

No problems whatsoever. Even with the 70-200 Tricep Workoutâ„¢ edition. So long as it fits in the overhead compartment, you should be fine.

3. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

You don't even have to pull the camera out and run it through X-Ray separately like you do with your video camera and laptops.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

no worries here. have fun and we expect lots of pics...

5. Dan

Dan Member

I was going to say that you have to check tripods.. then I saw that you'd already said you were going to. Yes, paying attention is useful...

Anyway, yeah, no worries. I had trouble when I once tried to get my camera hand-inspected instead of run through the ultra X-ray 9000 (just a joke name to refer to the fact that their x-ray units REALLY pump out those x-rays). I had heard speculation that x-rays might cause hot pixel issues on camera sensors, and wasn't too thrilled at the prospect. I know you can have them hand inspect a film SLR if it has film in it, and I asked to have my camera inspected in the same way, mentioning that I'd heard the x-rays could degrade the sensor.

"THAT'S A LIE!" the security person angrily responded, forcing me to run it through the x-rays.

Several X-ray runs later it would appear that there is no negative effect from the scanners, but I'm still less than pleased at the venom that my simple request was responded to with.

I use a backpack to transport my camera (not a special camera pack, I prefer ordinary packs for various reasons) and when I'm travelling through the airport it's typically absolutely crammed with technology. Last time it contained my GPS receiver (you haven't lived until you've located your parking spot using satellite navigation technology), cell phone, pocket PC, Ipod, and hard drive storage device.

Oh yeah, and camcorder. Yeah, despite the signs saying to take the camcorder out I just leave it in my backpack. They've never once cared. Frankly the video camera is smaller than my still camera, when you consider all the other technology in my pack there's little reason to obsess about a little mini DV camcorder.