fixing purple fringing post processing

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by jann1033, May 17, 2007.

1. jann1033

jann1033 Member

long story but...i have a 28-135 lens that was broken...Canon finally( 3 tries) fixed the lack of sharpness after they fixed the motherboard etc for the broken IS but in turn somehow increased the purple fringing( 4 tries fixing unsuccessfully) ...i was considering just selling it since the fringing bugs me but some say they can not see it so i must think it's worse than it is... so since it is sharp now i was wondering if i can fix it ( read it can be done with photoshop cs and corel paint shop pro neither of which i have) with any of the following programs...camera raw4, canon digital photo pro or photoshop elements 5. if so could anyone tell me what to use to do so? i am going to take some photos with it this weekend( just got it back again) and will post if it still looks as bad as it did before i sent it in.
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

hi jann,
    not sure how they could have created PF in your lens if it didnt have it before. PF is more of an element (no pun intended) of the glass and lens construction than anything else. are you using a lens hood? that might help as well as avoid situations with bright lights and extreme contrast.

here's a good read on PF and what you might be able to do about it...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Whenever I get some purple fringing in a shot, I use Helicon Filter to get rid of it. Helicon is a noise filter that has other capabilities, including a very good PF/CA removal tool...it can be as simple as a one-click removal, but also offers various sliders for the tolerance, radius, and sensitivity, as well as a dropper tool to select any color of chromic abberation or fringing to remove.

Helicon filter has a basic version for free (full version for a 30 day trial). It is available as a plug in for photoshop or paint shop pro, which makes it a cinch to use without having to resave your photo while working on it.

If any bits of fringe escape, using a small brush with the desaturation tool to strip out the color from the areas where the purple are showing, or by using the Change to Target brush to alter the purple fringing to the color and lightness of the background it is occurring on.

Hope that helps.

4. jann1033

jann1033 Member

thanks it did have a little fringing originally but nothing like after they "fixed it"i have no idea what they did but they were going to send the lens up the ladder with the photos since i guess it caused a big ruckus in the repair center (according to the customer relations guy i talked to) :eek:...instead they just sent it back and the fringing is better, just a faint narrow line in a few areas not like the thick solid line on both side of tree limbs etc like before and i was able to remove it with the color noise slide in camera raw . I can live with it since it is sharp now...thanks for your help.

5. jann1033

jann1033 Member

downloadeded this and it seems great! thanks!