First time at the theme park...

Discussion in 'Disney Theme Park Discussion' started by firelily99, Apr 23, 2014.

1. firelily99

firelily99 Member

This will be my first trip to the theme park, what would be the best rides and features for me to experience?

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

I recommend seeing the classic Disney attractions at MK - Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, the Country Bear Jamboree and the Carousel of Progress. While the Country Bears show was recently shortened and the Carousel of Progress may seem a little dated, they are integral parts of Disney history that paved the way for all of the more modern animatronics that make the newer shows and rides possible. If you enjoy roller coasters (even though Disney Coasters are mild compared to other parks) Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Expedition Everest are great.

An often overlooked feature of the parks is the live entertainment. Most guests, especially first timers skip the live acts in favor of trying to squeeze in some additional rides. I highly recommend trying to catch some of the live entertainment offerings. Depending on your musical tastes, the Dapper Dans on Main Street USA, the Main Street Philharmonic, the Voices of Liberty acapella group at the American Adventure in EPCOT, the Celtic rock band Off Kilter at the Canadian Pavilion at EPCOT, and the Mulch Sweat and Shears rock band at Hollywood Studios are all excellent shows. If you like a little audience participation comedy, the Citizens of Hollywood can't be beat.

3. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

At MK I would say It's a Small World, Peter Pan's Flight, Pirates of the Carribean and Haunted Mansion (you have the others thunder mountain and splash mountain but we aren't roller coaster people so we haven't done those)

AK - Safari is a must

Epcot - I really enjoyed the world showcase and the aquarium

DHS - it depends on your tastes; we enjoyed indiana jones on our first trip, but our kids were very young when we went back and wouldn't have enjoyed it. I am looking forward to the star wars stuff and toy story themed things this upcoming trip

4. skywatcher

skywatcher Member

I've been having a hard time with this problem, too. Since I'm planning a family reunion this year, I'm planning to have a good routine around the park just so everyone gets to have a good time.

These suggestions are really interesting, thanks!

But I have a follow-up question. Uh, what about kids who like to get scared? Are there horror themed attractions that you could recommend?

5. QueenElsa

QueenElsa Member

There's nothing too terribly horrifying I could recommend (it IS Disney, after all!) But Haunted Mansion at MK and Tower of Terror at DHS are the two musts I would say! They're creepy without being ridiculously scary. Tower of Terror is based on The Twilight Zone TV series, it's probably one of my top rides at the parks. I love horror-themed attractions as well! Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (also at DHS) is another I would recommend, it's not actually scary in terms of being horror-themed, but it's a launched coaster, so the anticipation is a thrill in itself!

skywatcher likes this.
  6. iTinkSo

iTinkSo Member

Festival of Fantasy parade and Dream Along with Mickey in MK.

Fantasmic! in DHS. If you are into Star Wars, ride Star Tours and then stop and watch Vader in the Jedi Training Academy.

Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo in Animal Kingdom.

7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Member

So sad, I am in my thirties and have only been to one theme park in my entire life. I went to the EPCOT about 3 years ago, and it was an amazing experience. At the time I went, they were hosting a food and wine festival. I loved sampling food from all over the world and having my Disney passport stamped. We are planning to take the kids to the California Disney Land next year.

8. skywatcher

skywatcher Member

Thanks! I'm going to take note of these rides, because I'm also a fan of horror-themed rides, haha! (Though I can't say I don't get scared a lot, too, HAHA!)

Thank you!