First Snow + GTA + Drivers = Lobotomy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ham Ham, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Being from Montreal when I moved to the GTA, Greater Toronto Area, more than 20 years ago I had to put up with ribbing about the Canadiens and how bad driver are in Montreal. As far as the latter is concerned I'll agree that some drivers in Montrea are agresive. In the GTA replace aggressive with poor.

This evening the first dusting of snow has hit the ground and sure sign that the driving talents of the local populace will be on display.
    While driving to the local plaza to pick up some balloons for DD 9 soon to be 10 birthday tomorrow poor driving skills were in abundance. On the 2 kilometer drive I drove past three collisions, all involving cars rear ending other vehicles. None of the vehicles that did the hittin' didn't appear to have winter tires. Sure winter tires are not the only way to reduce your chance of a collision. Keeping a safe distance between the vehicle in front of you may the best way to ensure your safety.

Another thing the never ceases to amaze me are the folks who do not take the time to clear off the snow from their vehicles windows.
    The only effort they seen to put into being able to see out of the car is using the wipers with some washer fluid from the summer that freezes on contact with the windshield.

Be careful out there folks. Look out who's behind you.
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

I HATE SNOW!!!

3. I love Snow - Snow White, that is! :)

4. scratch

scratch Member

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

5. realfam

realfam Member

I've shoveled my driveway already 3 times since last saturday night! ; yuck, can't wait to head south in a few weeks....

6. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

RF are you complaining or bragging? ;D

Don't you have a snow blower?
    [​IMG]

7. realfam

realfam Member

Defiantely complaining! ; ; We do have a snow blower, but its not worth dragging it out for a few cm's here and there. ; Its great on the big dumps though!
    I do love the snow, its the cold I find I'm starting to struggle with...

8. We haven't had snow to shovel yet in Ottawa - not a bit. (well, one day a couple of weeks back you could've shovelled if you really missed doing that - but the snow was gone in an hour). ; It's cold, though - very very cold. ; It's going to be a long winter!

9. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Picture I took last Wednesday with my iPhone.

[​IMG]

10. realfam

realfam Member

Just came inn the house from using the snow blower,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we got about 5 inches from last night

11. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Nothing down here is south Mississauga today. Looks like Barrie received a good dumping too.

12. realfam

realfam Member

; I was up working in Wasaga Beach on monday and boy, do they have snow there.....I left just as the snow was starting start again....unbelievable!
    I was in your neck of the woods today and maybe back there tomorrow....Mississauga has zero snow

13. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Drop by if you have a moment. Bring your new toy.

14. We finally got snow - but it's still too early for me. ; Two days in a row, DH was out shovelling - he has the snow blower at the ready, but the stuff on the ground was wet, soggy, sloppy stuff. ;

Six months to go?

15. amw

amw Member

Well, I like it! ;D We have had a bit each day up here in Markham since last week, and nothing has melted yet. No green spots. I think all the outdoor Christmas lights look really pretty with a dusting of snow on top. Puts ya in the mood!

Now, I was from Montreal originally too so I do totally concur with Ham Ham about the traffic ... but don't blame the snow, blame the drivers. ; :-*

16. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

First real accumulation of the season in my area of the GTA.
    With apologies to folks who already have snow and you folks out west with those bone chilling temperatures.
    [​IMG]

17. amw

amw Member

Our snow has yet to melt from your first posting HamHam. Even with really warm temps, we managed to hang on to some white stuff on the ground. This morning, we have quite a bit more than you. It just keeps piling up. ; :eek: ; It's amazing how the weather varies slightly throughout the GTA. I guess we're just North enough and just east enough in Markham to "gather" all the snow. ; :D

Whatever happened to the weathermen who said we would have a dry winter after last year?!?!

It's nice for Christmas though. ; ;D ; I think I will go make some cookies ....

18. scratch

scratch Member

And there are two more storms to come!

But it does look perty!

19. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Being within 3 km's of Lake Ontario seems to help keep the snow accumulation down. Some of you folks north of highway 7 always tend to get more snow.

20. I agree, I live about 1KM from Lake Ontario and we had far less snow then when I got to work (only 15 min drive in rush hour traffic).