Families first resort stay

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Canesandphins1, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Hello all I live in Orlando so I have been to the parks countless times but making our first resort stay any tips or advice would be great

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

Recommending a resort depends on how you like to spend your time in the parks. ;

If you like to spend all day in the parks (arrive early in the morning and stay until late in the evening) a value resort may be a good option since the hotel is just a place to sleep. ; If you plan to spend several hours a day at the resort, a moderate or deluxe resort may be worth a look for the better theming. ; Keep in mind that the deluxe resorts have queen beds and the moderate and value resorts have double beds which may be important depending on how many people you are putting into the room.

3. gary

gary Member

and also which park or parks will be the main focus. i tend to spend more time in epcot and studios, so for me it's anything on crescent lake with beach club preferred. if it's magic kingdom anything on the monorail loop is a good one. now granted all these are deluxe, if doing a moderate, my favorite is coronado springs, followed by carribean beach, bear in mind these plus the value resorts all are huge sprawling resorts making even a little stroll for that hot swill they call coffee something maybe calling for the internal bus

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Gary's comment about the size of the value and moderate resorts reminded me of another tip. ; If staying at the value resorts (not sure about the moderates since I've never stayed there) pay the extra for the preferred rooms. ; It cuts down greatly on the distance to the food court and bus stop and is worth every penny in my opinion. ;

5. Thanks guys my 3 yo is special needs so its a handicap accessible room so we get the extra space by default also we are looking at the new animation or pop resorts

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. ; I don't know where the accessible rooms are at either, but did see that the only non-suite rooms at AoA are located at the far end of the resort. ;

7. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I would only recommend Art of Animation if you are staying in the suites. ; I just got back from there and my room (little mermaid area) was a 10-15 walk to the bus and food court. ; Makes for a longer walk when tired at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone...

8. Thanks red that's a big help with a 1yo, wife, plus the 3yo might need to look at something closer or ask where the accessible rooms are located I really never thought if that

9. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I've always had good luck with the All-Stars preferred rooms. ; The other option is one my dad found out. ; He got stuck in the furthest out building at All-Star Movies (Mighty Ducks). ; And while it is furthest away from the Movies Lobby, it is closer to the Music Lobby and Bus Stop than some of the Music rooms. ; He ended up eating meals at music since it was so much closer. ; If they have accessible rooms in those buildings, that might be a good choice too.

Sent from my iPhone...