ever had any trouble in the parks

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Deano, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Deano

Deano Member

this is has something that i've been thinking about. while at disney back in september i was shooting the pagoda roof, so i'm lying on the floor looking up through my wide angle, when suddenly my dad shout for me to watch my side

i sit right up thinking it was another tourist around me to see a guy in his mid 20's standing less than a foot away from my camera bag at my side, i look at him and he says

"ohh sorry mate i thought it was mine, i guess my parents took mine back to the hotel" and he books it out of the attraction

now i'm not dumb and i'm sure theft occurs at disney parks but its not something you think about while walking around

anything ever happen to you or any problems cause by your photography

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

I've lost a couple shots due to rude guests bumping into my tripod and was questioned by security once (they thought I was a professional photographer) but I've never had anyone try to steal my gear.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

That's a new one for me.

4. fotodave

fotodave Member

No, I've never had any issues with other guests trying to swipe my gear mainly because I'm very discrete. ; My cameras are always "taped out" with the brand and model numbers covered in gaffers tape. ; I bring very little gear into the parks than what I need and usually work out of a small bag, if necessary. ; Thats how I work. ; (2 cameras, maybe one extra lens).

You want to talk theft, I've heard of multiple 400/2.8s being stolen after football games, most notably the SEC championship at the Georgia Dome. (Happens every year) ; Happens almost every year. ; What i usually did was to strap the 400 to my back, switch to a 17 or a 14 & an 85 on the other body. ; Everything else is put away on my body somewhere or given to an assistant.

The general rule is you never advertise what you own, you be discrete and you keep it with you at all times. ; Point being, people are always looking. ; Dont set the bag down by itself unless its under your feet. Never leave it alone.

As for security, they wouldn't realize a professional photographer if it came up and bit them on the ass. ;