DVC ??? ...since I asked for this forum....

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Roger, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Just wondering about those of you who are members (owners) at DVC....how you like it, dislikes, etc.

My wife and I are considering it. Been thinking about it for a year, but never moved on it. DL APs had a discount last spring, but timing wasn't right.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. gary

gary Member

we like it, we considered it first in 96, couldn't bring myself to do it, wish i had, bought at beach club in 2003, first use mousefest that year, had to stay in okw because beach club studios all booked, added on that year and in 2004, also in 2004 late bought a boardwalk from the outside resale market
    we love staying at these 2, the location can't be beat esp since we find ourselves spending most of our time in epcot or mgm, we have enough points to get 1 bedroom, although upcoming mousefest is our first try of the dining plan, if that works for us we may go back to studio units, although i do like the convenience of the stack washer/dryer right in the unit, allows us to travel extremely light by just throwing dirty clothes in washer each pm and doing laundry before bed or during breakfast every other day. laundry can dry while i sit on the balcony and have my morning coffee, watching the people or friendships go by if at boardwalk
    cons,
    maintenance per point is highest at boardwalk, although i expect ak to end up tops, i foresee a few beach and boardwalk contracts showing up on the market from people deciding they just have to own at ak, so outside resale prices may drop a little, and if demand is slow disney won't be exercising right of first refusal

not good value for some of the exchanges, don't be misled by pretty brochures, cruise exchange is especially poor rate, better off renting out your points and using the cash to pay for a cruise
    better of to pick up a mariott or ric for exchange purposes

all in all it is great for us, i've been going to wdw at least once a year for awhile now, and if that is something you see yourself doing for a long time then it's a great way to stay in luxury for less, it can't be beat for annual mousefest trip, this will be our 4th straight mousefest staying in dvc lodgings, wouldn't want it any other way
    gary

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

we have 200 pts at saratoga, joined in 2005. love it.

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Another ?: Do the points go up every year for the resort which you buy into? i.e. does it seem like you begin to get less for your points at the original property?

I figure that the hotel rooms, cruise line, etc. will go up every year, but wondered about the DVC resorts.

With the Contemporary in preproduction along with DL's first DVC ...uhh...area beginning this year...still thinking about it.

5. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

From the way I understand it, they have a predetermined number of points they can charge per year.

Just as regular resorts have "seasons" so do the DVC resorts.

If DVC decides they would like to charge a few more points during one "season" they must reduce points at a different time. The Total number of points they have to work with remains the same.

6. gary

gary Member

what can and usually does increase each year is the maintenance and tax $, but so does the cost of my own home increase, that's just cost ofliving
    mickeybabe has it exactly correct, if dvc raises the points needed for a1 bedroom during 1 season the points in another season have to drop corresponding amount,
    ie, points for a 1 bedroom for 7 nights goes from 220pts to 240 during july, then same unit during nov-early dec(think mousefest time frame) drops from 200 down to 180, those 20 points have to come from somewhere, they have a total amount of points to work with each year
    gary