Disneyland is "banning" professional cameras

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Scottwdw, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

In the DL Theme Parks FAQ, this was pointed out to me. Anyone know what they define as a "professional camera"? {Tim, I know this is DL but thought since this could effect WDW in the future, I would post it here. Move and edit if you think otherwise.)

What items are not permitted within /Disneyland/® Park, /Disney's California Adventure/® Park or the /Downtown Disney/® District?

*Professional cameras and recording equipment. (Reporters must make prior arrangements with /Disneyland/® Resort Media Relations.) Folding tripod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyl ... rksFAQPage

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don't know what their definition for "professional camera" is, but the line about tripod size bothers me a little bit. My tripod is a little too big to fit in a backpack.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

It's been 7 years, but it used to be that they wouldn't allow photojournalists in the park without a handler and prior permission. And then you would have to store your gear in a locker if you wanted to take advantage of their generosity of a free admission for the rest of the day.

I'm guessing lenses that *need* support would be banned (although it's been 8 years since I got the 300/2.8 in the park....), along with cameras that look professional. (built-in grip, but there are plenty of amateurs using those now). The high-end video cameras are a no-no.

They're still allowing for small tripods - but not the big video ones or the ones designed for the upper lenses/gimbal heads, etc. Right now I think it's going to be decided on a case by case basis. (ie by security, or a manager)

But they're looking for white lenses more than black ones.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Well, I see this is old news. However, that's the first time I've seen a Disney definition of a tripod. The next question is (as mSummers just pointed out), what's a standard backpack size? My tripod has it's own carrying bag I put over my shoulders.

Sorry to hit the panic button. :eek:

Anyone here been to DL with a "pro" camera and tripod get turned away?

5. Roger

I wouldn't worry about it yet. They are looking for the big ones...besides. Did it mention the size of the backpack? (Example: I have a metal Bogen tripod that I used...oh boy, 9 years ago on the Mall - I would never think of bringing it to Disney. It just is too big when it's compact..but it sure is sturdy.)

6. Roger

Ahem yes. 7 years ago.

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

I have a metal Bogen tripod that is about 32" long folded up that I've brought into the parks several times and never had a CM say anything to me about it.

8. Roger

Is it a requirement to use metal Bogen tripods on the Mall? Does the USPP require them? :D

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

I think they do, but the SS absolutely loves them...

10. bmitch

bmitch Member

Last year my wife and I made our first trip to Disneyland. Security stopped us on the way to the turnstiles and said we weren't allowed to take the tripod into the park and had to go back and put it in the hotel room. They didn't seem to mind the camera (Canon 30D) and lens (Canon 28-300), which were out and visible.

Interestingly, though, we have brought our new Bogen tripod into all four parks in Orlando and nobody said a word.

11. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i had no problems at all in disneyland in 2007 with my camera, lenses, or tripod. let's not get too worked up about this, i am sure all is well, just like roger said.

12. mPower

mPower Member

Could this be a modified version of the PI rules on tripods (ie, if you say you are a professional, it's a nono, if you say you are taking pictures for 'you' its ok?)?

13. Scott

Scott Member

There must be someone reading these forums who knows someone that can give us the official word.

14. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I find it funny that this same question about Disneylands FAQ about photography has been raised over at DisneyWorldTrivia.com today

15. Kiki

Kiki Member

Saw a photog at DAK yesterday with what appeared to be a Canon 200mm 2.0 dangling from his neck - no tripod, but a professional-looking photojournalist vest also. If they were looking for white lenses, this one slid right past.

I have heard this from various people from time to time about WDW, but, so far no particular enforcement.

16. mPower

mPower Member

200/f2 from the neck huh...I didn't know the bodybuilding competitions started this early! ;)

17. Kiki

Kiki Member

That thing was a MONSTER, but he didn't have a tripod. I wouldn't last 3 minutes with it, but this guy was fairly large and beefy-muscular looking.

18. Roger

WDW hasn't gotten the memo yet I don't think....probably also because you don't have hundreds of paps in the area, esp. with Posh taking her kids on a regular basis.

But 200/2 from his neck? Gawsh. (Plus the fact 200 is much too short for DAK)

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Not with a cropped digital body. :) So, did you take the 80-400VR into DAK with you Roger?

20. Roger

I rented it for my June trip. My last trip was for the 14-24, no telephoto (other than the 28-200G, which is losing favor with me).

Even 300 is too short IMHO. I used the 70-200/2.8 IS with a 1.4 TC on a 1.6x crop and thought that was too short at times. (448) Now 80/100/120-400 x 1.5 is much better.