Digital then and now:

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort (California)' started by Roger, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Then: ; 2001, ISO 400 was max, f/2.8 ; (EXIF should be there)

[attachimg=1]

Now: ; 2007, ISO 1600:

[​IMG]

(didn't even notice that the parade was going in a different direction then....)

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

very cool before and after!

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

Its amazing how far the technology has come in such a short time

4. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Very cool - I'd like to pull up some before-and-afters myself, from my earliest forays into digital in 1997. ; I need to find a 3.5" floppy drive somewhere!! ; I have some old photos from my Mavica loaded, but quite a few are still sitting on some floppies in original state, between 1/2 and 1MP. ; Assuming they haven't deteriorated and lost their info!

6. Roger

I got one them USB floppies at work the other day at Office Max, about $40. ; But you need to get them off those disks and onto current media!

I did that with my wedding pics that a friend[nb]Very well known and hated in the Disney community. ; I'm glad that he attended.[/nb] took - some of them were better than the "official" ones.

7. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

The USB Floppy is almost essential. ; Especially considering the Windows OS still refers to emergency boot discs and asks you to insert floppies to create them

8. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

my computer here at work still has a 3.5 drive built in!

9. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

would that be someone that i know? ; has a red-headed kid?

10. Roger

No, no kids.

11. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

hmmmmmm. ; ya got me. ; send a PM if you want.

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

Our computers have them as well... ; The last time our server had a problem we had to go out and buy a pack of them to make the boot disk.

Better yet, when I worked for the construction manager at NMAI[nb]Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian[/nb] we had a digital camera that used floppy disks to take our inspection photos. ; We would go through two boxs of floppies every week... ; they would get so full of dust after two uses that they would just quit. ; It became standard practice to take a can of air and blow the dust out of the floppy drive after every use.

13. Roger

NMAI[nb]Never been there.[/nb], huh?

Same with the Post Office Museum or the Udvar-Hazy NASM, even though for the latter I feel like I've seen it already after watching Revenge of the Fallen[nb]Did I go there?[/nb]

14. Don't laugh. One of the girls at work is upset because her new computer does not have a 3.5 floppy drive. She needs it because she still uses the Sony Mavica camera where you insert the floppy. There was even talk of taking my hard drive and swapping it for hers. ; I would have been okay with the new brain thanks to my new 8.2 MP camera at work!

15. zackiedawg

Yep...that's where my digital photo history comes from - 1997 I bought the Mavica FD91, and shot photos on floppy for years. ; Back then, 1MP was incredible, and almost noone used much more than 800x600 monitor resolution...so with no knowledge of computers or digital cameras, it was all very impressive to me. ; 15x optical stabilized zoom! ; tilt LCD! ; Spot metering! ; Manual white balance!

Of course, I quickly discovered that the huge 1mp photos took up too much space on the floppies, and I could only get about 15-18 photos on one. ; So I switched to the space saving 640x480 mode which were still huge on my monitor of the day. ; I used that, or 800x600, many times over a 3-4 year period with that camera. ; Not until I upgraded to a monitor that could set to 1024x768 did I realize that...woah...my photos are small! ; And when I make them bigger, they look like lego assemblies!

I upgraded in 2002 to the Sony F717, a 5MP gem of a camera with an awesome F2.0 Zeiss lens...that camera can still hold its own today...I loved the Mavica and had a ton of fun with it - learned a lot about photography too. ; But only later did I realize that I practically wasted 5-6 years of vacation photos that can't really serve much purpose other than a small slideshow or wallet-sized prints.

My last two computers, and my workstation at work, don't have floppy drives...and I really would like to dig up some of those old photos and archive them off those disks. ; Where on earth to find a floppy drive is the challenge now! ; I'd consider buying a USB floppy drive if I could find one cheap.

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Yep. ; Did two summer internships there while I was in college. ; Its by far the smallest of the Smithsonians, so you can see all of it in about two hours. ; Its worth seeing at least once just for the architecture. ;

17. scpergj

scpergj Member

That is why I ordered my new server (Dell 2950, quad core 2.83, 16GB RAM, 1.2 TB RAID, Windows Server 2008 - best OS I've EVER touched!) WITH a floppy drive. ; It's USB, but who cares - it'll do the job when I need it!

18. zackiedawg

That sounds like what I need. ; I'm still functioning with 1GB ram and 300GB on my computer, which I've maxed out and back up on two different 300GB external drives. ; I want several internal drives, and need to be looking at 1TB drives x 3 and a lot more RAM. ; And yes...I'll stick the floppy in too!

19. Roger

Okay, I'll still be preferential to Leopard, but it is a very stable server OS that has the best of Vista with the server technologies. ; Heck I've got 4 servers at work (eh 5 if you count an XP box that's running the automated stuff) from Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2008 and Red Hat Linux 5 Enterprise....

20. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

If you need lots of disk space, look at a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+. ; My former employer has two of them to store his music collection on. ; They're pretty darn reliable, and when they fail, support is pretty good. ; Amazon has them at a pretty good price.