daylight castle

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by gary, Nov 8, 2006.

1. gary

gary Member

i was sort of going for the postcard look here, you know, the everyone takes the same shot down main street, but i really didn't want the crowd as a major element of the photo, aware they are there but not a strong element, comments and critizisms welcome, it's how i learn
    gary :-\

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

2. gary

gary Member

resized a little

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i like the way the foreground is in shadow and the castle is bright but i think the people are too close to the camera (that one dude is really tall) and could detract a bit from the shot. if they we all a littlle bit further up in the frame you'd have a winner. otherwise, the composition is nice (castle isnt dead smack in the middle) and the lighting adds a nice touch. still it's a nice shot worthy of sharing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. gary

gary Member

composition and what creeps into the edges of my photos are my weakest , that's why i was talking about the disipline of shooting for a while with a prime and then changing to a different focal length, i spent a lot of time over labor day weekend shooting at the rhythm and roots music festival with the 85 f1.8, great concert lens, particularly under colored stage lights, awareness of all the elements are what i need to work on most, here it's particularly shameful because i almost always have on a zoom at wdw, probably the tamron 28-75 2.8
    gary

5. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

I'll agree with Tim and say it's really cool how the shadow does it's part to try to camoflauge the people(darn tourists!). There are many times where I'll either have to try to get creative around the masses, or if I'm just stubborn about that shot I'll just sit and wait for a clearing to expose itself. I call these times "Dole Whip Moments" cuz it's usually when the wife goes out to get us treats while I wait. ;D

Nonetheless, it's a great shot and I really liked seeing the castle standing high above collecting all that great sun and stealing the show. ;)

6. kylewhit89

kylewhit89 Member

nice pic...
    heres mine taken in january this past year....

7. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Here's one from October of this year.

[​IMG]

8. Tim

gotta get used to seeing the castle again without all the "bling-bling"

9. joedisney

joedisney Member

My favorite daytime (actually close to sundown) castle photo, I caught this one two years ago with my 300D/canon 17-40 f4 lens. Shot in raw, I did a little shadow lifting and a bit of USM after jpeg conversion.
    [​IMG]

10. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Joedisney, that shot is stunning. I love the reflection on the castle and the moat shows depth. Well done!

11. Tim

cool post on that one...almost looks like the midnight sepia action. nice work and i love when people put borders on their images. when does subtly, they add an aire of class to the image. nice work

12. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

It really does. I guess I'll have to get on that some time.