D7000 Backfocusing

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by rickenmartin78, May 25, 2013.

1. I've noticed some backfocusing on my D7000 with the 35mm f/1.8. ; So I decided to go through some older pics with the 18-105mm kit lens and I'm starting to see it there too (amazing what you can find when you're looking for it). ; I don't feel like it's a big enough problem to write home to Japan about--more frustration than anything else when I have to abandon auto focus and go full manual. I've done the in-camera focus fine tune and the problem has been fixed with the lenses already mentioned.

Have any of you D7000-ers have had the same problems with any other lenses? ; If so, which ones?

Thanks.

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I have a D7000, but not sure what you mean by back focusing. ; Can you (or someone else explain)?

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

The camera says that it focused but in reality it focused on an object slightly behind the object on the autofocus point. ; Many of the higher up cameras now allow you to program a fine-tuning of the AF.

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Roger!

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I remember the problem you had with your Canon Roger!

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

That would have been called schizophrenic autofocus!

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I had a similar problem with my D70s several years ago, and the advice I got here was to clean the contacts on the camera and lens. ; Here's the thread.

8. Thanks Dennis.

I'm shooting at the NC Zoo tomorrow. ; I'll clean the contacts and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Funny thing...I cleaned the contacts but failed to change the AF fine tune back to 0. ; There seems to be some slight front focus now, but not near as much as before. ; I've re-adjusted since.

Alas, we have the shot of the loving wife giving her husband the look of displeasure because he won't stop talking about autofocus during the family outing. ; Despite the low light, I was able to pull off a decent example of front focus. ; The lines on the bill of her hat seem to pick up the focus first, rather than the eyes--what I was aiming at.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by rickenmartin78, on Flickr

While the difference is slight, it does confirm the problem I've been having. ; Cleaning the contacts did make a difference. ; I had the AF fine tune at -8 for this shot. ; I've since set it to -2 (just in case) and taken some practice shots here at home that have turned out fine.

10. While this one got a bit of color work in Aperture, I didn't add any sharpening/blurring (apart from the Toy Camera color preset). ; Again the focus seems to be picking up just before my daughter's face. ; Even at f/2.8 I was far away enough to get my daughter's face in the sweet spot DOF.

[​IMG]
    T-rex Rider by rickenmartin78, on Flickr

11. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Rickenmartin, that's a great shot of your daughter. Let's move to the famous D7000 focus stuff. I have heard so much stuff about FF and BF with the Nikon and Pentax cameras. I currently use a K-5II and have done like you, adjusted the focus on my lenses. I knew to do this before I even bought the camera. At least we have micro adjust for the lenses. The lower end cameras don't even offer it. The shot of your wife was a good example of the Pentax problem. I don't know about Nikon, but Pentax actual focus point is larger than the dot in the viewfinder so you have to be careful where you place the dot. The D7000 and D800 is infamous for focus problems from what I have read on DPReview.com

12. Thanks, Harry. ; I feel like I've got a better handle on the AF now. ; Problems = learning.

The real test will be when I start shooting at the World in a couple weeks. ; I've got 2 pro zooms reserved from Kingdom Camera (24-70 and 70-200). ; From what I've read/heard, the AF issues are not the same throughout the range of the zoom, so setting an AF fine tune may not be a 100% fix for zooms. ; Regardless, I'm expecting better results with the better glass.

I've enjoyed learning how to either fix gear kinks or modify my shooting to work around them with a cropped-sensor body. ; My next body will be full-frame though. ; But I would be absolutely SICK if I sprang for a new D800 that had the same in-camera focusing problems.