Crunch Time

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I got a trial contract with the Syracuse Crunch to shoot their first three home games. ; If they like my work, I might get the gig for the entire season. ; Last night was the home opener.

Syracuse Crunch Cory Conacher's (89) stick breaks resulting in a weak shot against the Hershey Bears goalie Braden Holtby (1) in the Crunch's 2012-2013 Home Opener in the War Memorial on Saturday, October 13. ; Crunch won 4-3.

[​IMG]
    Bad Break by Scottwdw, on Flickr

There was a lot of energy in the old barn with a sold out crowd, new team, new colors and a funky new mascot.

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Wow!!!! ; That is awesome! ; Great shot by the way!! ; Hope they like what they see!!!

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work, Scott! ; I'm sure they'll love it

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

Cool opportunity! Good luck, I'm sure they'll like what they see.

Erich

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Very nice, I cant imagine them not liking what they see.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Congrats dude.

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks for the support everyone! ; I'll post more photos once I catch up on a few things. My weekend was packed with this game, outing with my photo meetup group and a wine tour for a relative's birthday. ;

8. Congratulations on the opportunity!

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here are a few more from the game. ; All taken in the third period. ; With the new lighting in the arena, I was able to shoot at 1/1000th of a second which really helped to get sharp photos of the action.

Reigning AHL Defensemen of the Year Mark Barberio (#8 ) takes a shot from the point for the Crunch.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch J. T. Wyman (15) heads out of his zone with the puck.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Tyler Johnson (9) handles the puck over center ice.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Alexander Killorn (19) preparing for a faceoff against the Hershey Bears.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Cory Conacher (89) (with a new stick) heads towards the Hershey Bear's goal.
    [​IMG]

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Congrats Scott! ; These are great!

11. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Great stuff. ; If you don't get a full contract, somebody needs their head examined.

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

This second set is awesome!! ; Must be great to be on the ice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Jeff and John. ;

Dennis, I'll send you the person's name and contact info if that happens. You can arrange for an examination. ; ;D

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

One of the things I photograph for the Crunch are fans, ads on the scoreboard and ribbon displays and the mascots. ; This year, the Crunch retired Al, the Ice Gorrila, and brought back the franchises very first mascot, Crunchman. ; He has been updated but obviously did not get his super suit for Edna.

Crunchman has had mixed reviews. ; People either like him or think he's creepy looking.
    [​IMG]

Crunchman banging the drum after a Crunch won their home opener.
    [​IMG]

However, there are times it is good to be Crunchman.
    [​IMG]

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's a few from last weekend's games. ; The Crunch lost their first game of the season on Saturday to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

Syracuse Crunch Ondrej Palat (12) handles the puck against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penquins Warren Peters (43) in the Onondaga Country War Memorial on Saturday, October 27, 2012. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton won 4-1.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch goalie Dustin Tokarski (34) deflects the puck over the net on a break away by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penquins forward Benn Ferriero (21) on a break away.
    [​IMG]

Yesterday, the Crunch came back from a 2-1 deficit to take the lead 3-2 only to get into penalty trouble late in the game. ; The Adirondack Phantoms (Philadelphia Flyers AHL affiliate) tied it with a few seconds left in the third period while the Crunch had two men in the box. Those penalties carried over to the OT and the Phantoms wasted no time and scored the winning goal at the 14 second mark.

Adirondack Phantoms goalie Cal Heeter (35) snags a loose puck in his crease against the Syracuse Crunch in the Onondaga Country War Memorial on Sunday, October 28, 2012. ; Adirondack won in OT, 4-3.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch goalie Riku Helenius (31) makes a blocker save on Adirondack Phantoms forward Zac Rinaldo (26).
    [​IMG]

You will notice a huge difference in the photos I took through the glass compared to those from above the glass. ; I might have to try out a 300mm f/2.8 lens so I don't have to crop as much.

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great to see some hockey with the lockout! ; Love that breakaway shot!

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The trial contact is now a season long contract. ; :) ; Here are some selects from last night's game.

I get to shoot from the Crunch's players bench during pre-game warmups. ; Nice being inside the glass.

Syracuse Crunch Philip-Michael Devos (88) sporting his hockey smile during pre-game warmups before playing the Rochester Americans in the Onondaga County War Memorial on Saturday, November 10, 2012. Rochester won 5-2.
    [​IMG]

Get some nice close ups. ; This is forward Pierre-Cedric Labrie (20) who is one of the big hitters on the club.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Richard Panik (14) ties the game at 2 in the second period with a goal against the Rochester Americans goaltender David Leggio (33). I am getting the hang of the speed of the AHL game and anticipating the play better.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Brett Connolly (28) leans into a shot against the Rochester Americans. I wish my sticks flexed like this when I played.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch players Pierre-Cedric Labrie (20) and Brett Connolly (28) fight for the puck along the boards agains Rochester Americans Frederick Roy (91) and Matt MacKenzie (47). ; I always try to get the puck in the shot when possible.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Pierre-Cedric Labrie (20) backhands a shot at Rochester Americans netminder David Leggio (33) late in the third period. Crunch are undefeated on the road but are having a hard time getting used to their new home rink (this team played in Norfolk last year). ; They have two games at home next weekend to change that trait.
    [​IMG]

18. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great stuff Scott! ; Congrats on the full season contract! ; It is nice to see some hockey with the NHL Lockout and all. ; I really love that first shot, it could almost be from 40 years ago with that toothless look (except for the visor, plastic stick, etc)!

19. gary

gary Member

maybe they need the hanson brothers to come out of retirement for a couple of games to show them how it's done

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Gary, the Hanson brothers are at each game. ; I need to get some pics of them. ; There are three season ticket holders who dress up as them. ; Have sat next to them in the past. ; Very nice people with a great sense of humor. ; You'd like them.