Composition comments

Discussion in 'Epcot Photos' started by haunteddoc, Jan 4, 2007.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I like the idea behind this shot but could not for the life of me get it to turn out any better than what you see. How about some comments on the composition etc. I am going to be back home "DVC memeber" in April so I would like to try this shot again. Especially with my new Canon 30D I got for Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Imaginerd

Imaginerd Member

I love the picture, it almost looks painted.

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

It's similar to a 'regular' shot of mine, but from the other side of the World Showcase entry. You took yours between the center and Mexico over by the Odyssey lake, whereas I usually shoot mine from the other side, between Canada and the center:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems to me that the lake on the other side gets a better reflection of Spaceship Earth, so I've typically tried to use that side. You've got much more foreground foliage in yours, which I haven't tried yet...though I do usually try to use the branches to frame the globe a bit. Of course, if you shoot it right, you can get people on the walkway over the water in front of the globe to be a point of interest, which I can't get on the other side.

I can only remember doing a closeup from the Mexico side, because I wanted to get the lamp and SE together...but I couldn't get the composition like I wanted without the lamp interfering with the 'Epcot' words and Mickey hand:
    [​IMG]

I'm not 100% positive you can get the exact type of composition you were looking for on the other side...but I'd try over there to see if it works for you as I think the water works better over there for a reflection and you can still get the monorail crossing in front of SE.

I'll be there next weekend...I might try a few shots from both sides and let you know what I get!

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

dr. jim,

i usually dont download and make changes to other people's images but since this is a learning forum and you asked for help, i took the liberty of doing this to your original photo. if you are displeased with this, please tell me and i will remove the post. that being said....

the first thing i noticed with your original photo is how crooked the image looks. i used the straighten tool in photoshop and cropped to suit and right away the whole rule of 3rds thing came right into play, and you did a good job with that. you definitely had the right idea with that photo, just a bit of refinement and you are on the right track.

5. mcpaul

mcpaul Member

I also had the impression that it was slightly slanted. Nice composition, though - and I like the tree framing the shot

6. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Thanks everyone for the comments which are greatly appreciated. I'll try the view from the othe side when I am down there in April. I do like the idea of using the water for a reflective surface.

zackiedawg, I really like your shots!!

Thanks for the comments Tim. Especially when I asked for help, I have no problems with you, or anyone, downloading and improving the image. Since I am a real novice at this, any comments from talented and seasoned photographers is truly welcome.