Christmas 2008 photos... Let's see 'em!

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Tim, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

My main score this Christmas is the Olzewski Cinderella Castle (photos coming later)... what did you fine folks get your mitts on? got pics of the kiddos opening presents? lets see them too!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Paul

Paul Member

A Manfrotto Tripod & ball head is my new toy!

3. Tim

awesome! you are now an official TMIP'er!

4. goofy101

goofy101 Member

santa bought me aRC 1 remote control and a Ultra Maxi M Tripod

5. I got a Mickey camera neck strap (the red one with all the different Mickey parts on it), a macro kitand haze and polarize filters. Also I seemed to have wound up with over $100 in gift cards for Borders so I can buy lots of books about taking pictures. Any reccomendations? I also got 80 bucks from some of the kid's parents and I want to get an expodisc but Im torn between the expodisc neutral and the expocap (which gives a little bit of a warmer picture). Right now I am thinking expodisc because I might as well get the best if Im going to spend the money!

6. Tim

i went with expodisc neutral because it's easier to warm up a neutral than to neutralize a warm photo. my 0.02 + tax.

7. gary

gary Member

mainstreet 1997

1. expodisc, in the largest size you have in lenses, get 77mm, this can be held over any smaller lens, but a smaller expo cannot be made larger

2. spend all your borders dollars on scott kelby, get everyone of his books you can find, you can probably get 2 and 1/2 books for the $, so put out the rest yourself.he has the best teaching style i have ever seen in how to photo books, especially his books on post processing programs, and i've looked at quite a few

i am one of those persons who cannot go into a book store with my credit cards on me, and definitely not when i have to be somewhere else, it has to be my last stop of the errand run, as more than once i seem to have fallen into a 2 hour time warp

8. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

I asked for Jim Shore's Christmas Kiss and and an Olsewski miniature...

hubby got me TWO Jim Shore's!

The second one is called Old St Mick :)

alas, no tripod tho - he says he wasn't even gonna attempt that one for fear of getting the wrong one. I still have my Leki photopole (monopod.) I'll make due until I have time to get over to B&H and pick something out.

9. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Well, good luck with the tripod purchase, now that the official tripod is no longer being produced.

10. I got a Jim Shore too!
    [​IMG]

Im thinking of starting to collect these!

A couple of years ago my mom got a cat figurine from a friend by Jim Shore. I thought he was SO UGLY! Its growing on me a little.

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

My daughter got a new coat.

[​IMG]

I got lots of clothes, HD movies and books but no photo things this year. I got my own earlier in the year. ::)

12. Tim

It is still being made, just slightly different...
    CLICK HERE!

13. Great! Whos going to buy me one? LOL.

When we were in Disney I looked like such an ameteur setting up and taking down my tripod. Of course my mom helping didnt really help. I think its more of a one man job!

14. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Don't feel too bad. I have the "official" tripod of TMIP and I'm still mumbling under my breath as I try to set it up and keep the legs from collapsing on themselves. Those twist lock legs drive me bonkers

15. Tim

the twist lock legs are a minor annoyance but I accept them in the fact that the size/weight/convenience of the velbon outweigh the quirky leg locks.

16. gary

gary Member

the important thing to remember is that you have a tripod
    i know not everyone wants to carry one around disney, but let's be real here, when someone comes up to tim or me or ray and says, how can i get shots like that, that's the first thing you have to tell them if you want to be ethical about it, without a tripod it's not happening most of the time, yes you can get some good railing and trashcan shots, but a tripod is the single most needed accessory
    tripods make it happen

17. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

To add to Gary's declaration...

Most camera bags of the backback variety have plastic slots on the bottom of them, they are meant to hold lash straps. People familiar with hiking in the mountains are familiar with these because you use them for attaching your bedroll to the bottom of your pack.

Well, on a camera bag, it's ideal for carrying your tripod. Tim, I know, doesn't worry about this because he usually has a stroller with him to push his son around. But, when Billy isn't with him, he carries his tripod in the bag it came with.

To, me that was very frustrating when getting on and off ride vehicles to deal with two things over my shoulder.

Gary, has his tripod standing straight up in his bag, but he has a really deep backpack so this works, I don't have that.

The straps are $10 and Tamrac makes them for their bags and work great. I know B&H sells them. It's probably the best $10 I've spent.

Tamrac Cam-Lock Cinch Strap, Pack of 2

18. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

I agree 100%

No matter how much I practice and what props I use, I need a tripod if I ever want my prints to be top quality~That's a purty little toy, just about the price I was expectin too...Merry Christmas to me!

MS, if they didn't do Disney I probably wouldn't collect from either artist. Something about that Mickey Mouse :-* I kinda see Mickey and Minnie as hubby and me, Mickey and my husband John are both real sweethearts and charmers ;)

Beautiful coat Scott! I love how the fur frames her face just right~

19. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

I already have carried my monopod in the parks and have used the deep backpack and a shoulder bag (think purse) where the monopod fits laying across the top seam right on top of the bag (where the bag goes under my arm.)

I tried a camera backpack that had sidestraps for my pod to fit into, that hangs the pod along the outside, on the side, on the bag. That part was cool but the inside (that was all padded up and sectioned off) was waaaay too heavy to carry anymore once I got off the plane.

I think I'll stick with my padded purse and forgo the the fancy packs for now. Before my purse, when I carried an Olympus P&S, my camera was hauled around in a fanny pack~as a matter of fact, my Olympus fanny pack is the blue trailblazer pack tucked inside of the picture you see below~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. gary

gary Member

i favor the use of a tripod assistant whenever possible, although they have to be fed, clothed and usually have to be paid in disney trinkets, and it can get very expensive if they suddenly decide in mid life that they want to work for a different photographer