Cell Coverage

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by haunteddoc, Jun 12, 2007.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

We are looking at changing our cell phone provider from Nextel to Sprint. Nextel is very expensive and we can get the same service from Sprint for much less. Has anyone had experience with using Sprint while at WDW? Unfortunately Sprint and Nextel are the only service providers that have good coverage in our area.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Nextel is Sprint. Sprint is Nextel.

It seems that every cell provider seems to provide the same , uhhh, "level" of customer care. Every one has their own experiences with them.

I've had Sprint since MobileESPN went belly up (which was on Sprint's network) Only problem is with my phone hardware.

3. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Although they merged, I was told by our Nextel rep that they do not use the same towers and use different wireless protocols so the coverage is actually different. Not sure if I believe him as he may be saying that to discourage us from changing.

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I think they may be migrating over; but in that case Sprint would be an improvement over Nextel.

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i have also heard that sprint and nextel, while merged do not use the same technology. two different types of networks...

6. Dan

Dan Member

They've been suggesting that they use a unified network on their commercials when they try to suggest that the merger has made their network broader.

Anyway, I use Sprint and I've had pretty decent coverage at WDW. A while ago I had some issues where the network seemed congested, I was having difficulty getting any calls out although I definitely had a signal. But in the past year or so it hasn't been a problem.

For random trivia purposes I heard that they'll even have a way to use Sprint (and some other providers, I don't remember the rest) cell service on their cruise ships! Of course there'll probably be an astronomic surcharge associated with the service, but.. I'm just intrigued about it. That probably means they'll have a satellite connection to the cell providers, so you'll get an added satellite lag to the usual cell encoding lag (it's there, if you've ever called a land line phone with your cell phone and listened to both handsets at once you can hear a definite lag).