Can we talk about Bokeh?

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by hulagirl, Feb 4, 2010.

1. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

How do you get that gorgeous soft bokeh on purpose?

2. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

A fast lens wide open usually helps- this one is from the Sigma 50mm f/1.4

[​IMG]

What kind of camera are you using?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Use one of Nikon's DC lenses, or Canon's 135 Softfocus lenses. ; They allow you to change the bokeh on purpose.

Otherwise, it varies from lens to lens, focal length to focal length. ; Some "fast" lenses have horrible bokeh wide open. ; Others do not.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

go with a wide open aperture (smallest f/number you can) and zoom all the way in... ; the closer you are to your subject, the blurrier the background will be.
    see jeff's photo above.

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

As mentioned...low light lenses with nice big apertures are the easiest path to shallow depth-of-field and out of focus bokeh backgrounds (or foregrounds). ; The shallower the focus area, the quicker and more drastic the out of focus area goes blurry....though lens architecture can make a difference in the bokeh (out of focus blur doesn't mean good bokeh - some lenses don't look so nice when out of focus, others are creamy smooth or perfectly circular).

Another factor is distance between the camera and the subject, and the subject and the background. ; The farther the distances, the better for out of focus blur and generally the better for the bokeh. ; Stand far away from a subject, and zoom all the way in with a big zoom lens, and you get a much shallower depth of field, yielding nicer blur of backgrounds. ; The farther that background is from the subject, the nicer the blur (I deal with this a lot when i shoot birds - I don't have a particularly big aperture lens, but I'm using 500mm on a 1.5 crop body, and often the birds are on a branch with the background several feet or dozens of feet behind them, well out of the focal depth...so i still get nice soft blur despite being at F5.6-8 or so).

6. Roger

As Justin said. ; The longer the focal length the shallower depth of field, leading to more out of focus parts of the image.

But to be clear, bokeh/depth of field has nothing to do with a crop factor. ; While the "reach" is different, the DOF on the A550 and the A900 on the same subject, focal length, and distance to subject would be the same.

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

True...just wanted to point out what I was using! ; The 500mm is what is providing that shallow DOF.

8. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Okay...I SO appreciate the help. ; I took a little bit of everyone's advice and just decided to shoot a ton of photos today. ; Tim..."wide open aperture and get close to the subject". ; I totally got that :) (thanks for getting that I need simple right now), so that is what I spent most of my time doing. ; To all the rest of you, thank you so ; much for everything you said. ; I will read, re-read and read it yet again, until I get it. ; In some ways, I feel like I am learning another language, but you guys are great teachers. ; I have long found forums to be the best way to learn. ; So here goes. ; I'll put up some here and then more in other posts.

I'm really sorry but I don't have a flickr account or anything, so for now, I shrunk them to 50% and pulled 'em off my desktop. ; I know it's kinda messy and I apologize. ; I just hope I shrunk them enough. ; I was really focusing on bokeh today, but adjusted the exposure if I thought it looked over or underexposed..and I used 3 different lenses, the 50mm, the 18-200 and the 55-250. ; It was fun! :D ; Please tell me what I can do to improve in any respect. ; Also...one thing that really eludes me is the ability to get a truly tack sharp photo. ; It drives me nuts! ; What can I do about that?? ; Jeff, that rubix cube looks like it's jumping off the page at me. ; How do I DO that?? (ps...guess what kinda camera I use? ;D)

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

9. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Bear with me. :) ; Excited to share what I got...don't want to be annoying...just tell me to quit when I get there. ; :p

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

10. Roger

?: Are you using iPhoto to export these images? ; The EXIF data seems to be gone.

11. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Using Aperture. ;

12. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Last post for now...

13. Roger

At work; I can't remember what the setting is to make sure that the EXIF doesn't get stripped when you export from A2....(and I don't have Aperture at work so I can't switch over to Snow Leopard anyway and see....)

14. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

I'll see if I can figure it out, Roger. ; Thanks for letting me know. ; All this technical stuff is not my strong point. ::)

15. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Stripping out the exif is a way to keep the filesizes smaller for posting on the web so it's not necessarily a bad thing to do. ; The drawback is people don't get to see your settings. ;

16. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Thanks, Tim...but I suppose it could be a bad thing if you don't actually know you are doing it. :-[

17. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

I'm sorry guys...I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the exif data to you. ; Neither can my husband. ; Can anyone help? ; It's in the photos I exported but it seems to be gone from the forum posts. ; I uploaded to flickr but can't seem to see it there either. ; Here's the link to all the photos I took today. ; I have Aperture 1..not 2. ; Don't know if that makes a difference. :(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47219696@N07/?donelayout=1

18. Paul

Paul Member

Exif data is available by clicking on one of your FLickr photos and then clicking the "more properties" link on the right under where it says "Taken with Canon...."

19. Roger

That's interesting. ; Flickr sees it. ; I can't. (xcept via Flickr)

20. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Thank you, Paul. ; I see it now. ;

So....guys...what do you think?