Can I remove this?

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by PolynesianMedic, Oct 1, 2007.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I took a picture of my son on the kiddie version of the Swinging Pirate Ship and he was having a great time. I was wondering if there is a way that I can go back and somehow remove the netting from this photo to show his face obstruction free. Thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. mSummers

mSummers Member

The only way I know how to do it would be to use the clone stamp tool in photoshop to replace the net with the background that is right next to it. But, that would be very time consuming, and extremely tedious. With that amount of net, successfully removing the net so it looks as if it was never there would be very difficult. Maybe someone else has a better way?

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i think you might be beat on this one. likelihood of success ain't too good with this one... sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

4. PolynesianMedic

Yeah I thought so, but it never hurts to ask. Now another PS question. I have an old photo that I have scanned and I want to "restore" it to as close to origional or better. How do I go about doing that in PS? Thanks for the info. and help.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Personally I would rescan it with a scanner that has Digital ICE or FARE.

I've been doing that myself with Canon's FARE technology, and it's an option during scanning - from grain reduction, scratch removal, and color fading correction. Actually does a decent job considering the condition most of these photos were in!

6. PolynesianMedic

How would I know if my scanner has either capability?

7. Roger

It might state in on the scanner via a sticker or logo attached to it. It will also depend on how old your scanner is.

8. Roger

I just found out that Kodak apparently owns the Digital ICE, and they have released the ROC part of it:

http://www.asf.com/

It's a photoshop plugin. I haven't tried their plugins yet, looking at SHO.