BIG Announcement from Disney today

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by PolynesianMedic, Sep 20, 2011.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Disney has announced that they are going to be building an new themed land at Animal Kingdom. ; They are pairing with James Cameron and bringing Avatar to the parks. ; Here is a link to the blog post on Disney's site. ; http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... ney-parks/

Thoughts?

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

uh... ; not too sure how I fell about this. ; I was really hoping for Beastly Kingdomme to make a comeback.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

1) For some reason Disney thinks the highest grossing film EVAR will be a Potter-killah....
    2) Assuming that they actually spend $$$ on it, Pandora will be an excellent addition to the park. ; It finally adds the "mythological" part that DAK was always supposed to have.

4. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

The problem I see is that there will not be much more than maybe one rollercoaster that would mimic flight on one of the pterodon like bird-lizards. ; I cant imagine that it will be a Potter Killer with all the shops and rides to venture thru over at universal. ; I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Not sure how I feel. ; I am excited to see something new, yet I am a bit nervous as to if it will still be popular then. ; I know that they are going to make another movie, but it COULD suck, which could put a damper on the new land. ; I agree with Roger, that Pandora, if done right, can be very cool!

6. Roger

I think they should be able to come up with at least two rides....there were other things than the Ride of the Toruk that could be made. ; A dark ride through some of the scenes perhaps in 3D but not like Star Tours would be intriguing.

But it is probably unobtainable. ; ;)

I am trying to figure out how to handle walkaround Na'vi. ; Time to sell wide angle lenses at the park? ; Or will the characters not be to scale?

7. Roger

Two. ; #2 is filming, #3 is in preproduction. ; Fortunately it seems that what Cameron has touched turns to gold.

8. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'm not really thrilled about the choice, either, but then I recall Disney's recent history.

When they announced they were going to project photos of guests on the castle, we were all underwhelmed. ; If you've seen "The Magic, The Memories and You," you know how wrong we were.

And the Fantasyland expansion design has changed since they originally announced it. ; Construction of Avatar-land isn't scheduled to start until 2013, plenty of time to revise whatever plans they have now.

At this point, I'm content to wait and see what happens over the next four or five years.

9. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Excellent point! ; I was not aware that they were filming already. ; Lets hope his hot streak continues!

10. Paul

Paul Member

Not an Avatar fan, but a new land in AK is something I will look forward to. ; New photo opportunities for sure.

11. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

They can just put them on stilts like the CMs in the Jammin Jungle Parade.

12. Roger

Should have phrased that better. ; How are they going to handle the character photo opportunities with them?

13. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

It's going to a photo of you standing next to a pair legs... ; cuts down on the cost of having a Cast Member don a suit. ; Yep, a pair of fiberglass legs cut off above the knees. ; :)

brought to you by an (HTC) "Incredible" Guy.

14. Roger

ROTFL ; ; ;D

15. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

I like Avatar. Given Jim Cameron's history with theme park attractions - T2:3D at Universal - I expect to love the worlds of Avatar at AK.

The sequels will not only take place in the same part of Pandora that the first movie focused on, but on other parts of Pandora, and on it's moons. At least part of the sequels will be entirely undersea.

Given that this is not just going to be a single attraction, but a whole new land at AK, I expect there to be at least three major attractions, rides and/or shows, one from each movie. And of course, since it's Disney, there will naturally be a carpload of merchandise available, and I expect to see a Na'vi Mickey and Minnie walking around at some point.

First prediction: Jim Cameron will want a Hometree in the new land that dwarfs the Tree of Life, and Disney won't like that one little bit, because the TOL is the park icon and a huge technical achievement in Disney's history. Who will win, I don't know. But it will be an epic battle.

16. Roger

A commenter at a non-Disney based news aggregator site said this, and it would be a HUGE part of this land:

"Heck, if they make the night scenery look like Pandora's, the park might regularly stay open beyond 5pm... "

17. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

I am not a die hard Avatar fan, but I think this is a great idea.

The only thing that will kill Potter is time, this new park leaves the door open for a lot of things, and if they can make it look like Pandora .. WOW just WOW

But i also think they should of created the new land @ MGM and not AK. Its a movie ....

18. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

The reasoning behind putting it in AK is the fact that the movie has an undercurrent of conservation and living with the land. ; All of which resonates throughout AK. ; I think that we are witnessing a change in the theme park industry. ; They are trying to bring more and more experiences to the masses. ; Sure they are going to make money on this, but let's be honest, James Cameron won't release a sequel just to release one. ; It will be, in his mind, equally as good or better than the original movie. ; With two more movies over the next few years, all while building the land, it allows for sneak peaks at the new movies. ; More importantly, Potter mania will dissipate over time, now that all of the movies and books are done. ; Avatar, is only 1/3 complete, and the land and attractions are going to be open while the movies are fresher in people's minds, and I would even bet we will see the land open before the third movie. ; Just my thoughts on this.

I do like the idea that this could finally keep the park open further into the night.

19. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Wasn't AK already cleared behind Asia to start a new land - which I thought might have been rumored to be a 'down under' type theme? ; Is this meant to be 'in addition to' that section, or is this an idea that will be intended to build on that spot and take its place? ; Anyone know? ; I was looking forward to an Aussie section in AK.

20. Roger

Ewa approves of this message. ; The whole movie fits in with DAK's mission.