Being Pregnant at WDW...

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Planning & Transportation' started by Sheila Gallant-Halloran, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Hi there Minnie (and others who might be pregnant and contemplating a visit to WDW) - in reading some of the posts, I saw that you'll still be pregnant when you visit MouseFest in December. ; Not sure how far along you'll be, but that's wonderful for you that you're still going.

I was 6.5 months pregnant with my littlest princess for her first Disney visit (unofficial as it was) - back in 2005 (she was born Jan.06). ; So, if you have any questions or want any tips from someone who's "been there and done that and scouted out all the bathrooms" :) let me know - it'd be my pleasure to help, and/or answer any questions.

The main thing is to try and ease any commando style of touring (if that's "how you normally roll" - it was true for me, anyhow), and treat yourself kindly. ; Go early to the park when it's less crowded, drink lots of water, and go back to your resort for a mid-afternoon nap if you can at all.

Congratulations again on the pregnancy. ; I wish you the best of everything!

Sheila

2. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Thanks for the advice Shelia. ; I will be 30-31 weeks during Mousefest and I am not going to let that stop me. ; I was wondering if you did go on any rides at all? ; I know that if I did get on any they would have to be pretty gentle. ; No TOT for me this year:-( ; But I think even without going on rides Mousefest will keep me busy.

Oh and the other question I had was last year when I was there I was looking at the World of Disney store at baby stuff (yes my mind was on baby stuff last year), and I know they have a selection of clothes, but do you know if they have anything different that I would want to buy for baby that I can't get in a normal store? ; Stuff like crib sheets, bottles, I guess things other than clothing (not that I would go overboard or anything). ; Although I would like to buy a 'going home' outfit from Disney. ; It only would suit Sean and I. ; And I am really hoping we can decide on a theme and get some hand drawn characters for the nursery. ; But that is beside the point. ; I am getting anxious to shop, can you tell??!! :D

Maybe my second question to go out to everyone should be is there anything that would be a great find and buy at Disney for baby?

3. Hi Minnie,

30-31 weeks - wow! ; Congratulations. ; That's a couple of weeks later than I did, but good on ya. ; Go for it!!!! I firmly believe that pregnancy is to be enjoyed and celebrated - so if you're able, capable, and have a willing spirit - enjoy! ; I certainly did (even though some thought I was nuts to go to Disney at that point - we had a blast, and it gave me a new appreciation for certain things that I never would've seen going commando style - also made me appreciate all the benefits that are there for folks with various disabilities - Disney is well equipped.) ;

The only caution I'd advise (and it's not meant to scare you at all - my actuarial background makes me very risk adverse - so this is something I certainly did for myself) is to make sure your travel/ health insurance is up-to-date and covers your pregnancy ( a precautionary measure only - but just for your own peace of mind, you want to be protected if your little one wants to see Disney alive and in person, rather than seeing it from the comfortable heated swimming pool you're providing inside your body - no unnecessary trips to an expensive Orlando hospital, please!).

Yes, I did go on rides - most of what I would ride before pregnancy. It's all driven by your personal comfort level, of course. ; Talk to your doctor, see what he/ she recommends, and do what is comfortable for you. ; You'd have gone on most of the rides before, I'm guessing, so you know what to expect. My own doc had a pretty healthy outlook - her perspective was that the health warnings that Disney posts are there mostly to cover them, re: insurance, etc. rather than any true risk to you or the babe - but the main thing is for you to be comfortable - and anything that worries you (regardless of how minimal the physical strain involved), etc., wouldn't be worth it because it'd bring on more stress before, during, and after than it'd be worth.

For myself, I rode all the Fantasyland rides with my family (including Mad Hatter - but that made me more nauseous than usual with my daughter's crazy spinning, so I didn't ride as often - or asked her to take it easy) - and I rode Aladdin, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted House, etc. I didn't do Mickey's Barnstormer - although I probably could've easily (I took to swelling that day, so was taking it ; easy, and enjoyed watching my hubby and DD ride it over and over). ; I didn't ride Space Mountain - but I'm not a Space Mountain kinda gal when I'm not pregnant. ; At Animal Kingdom, I rode Kali River Rapids - but only once. ; I had figured that a huge water-tube kinda ride should be easy peasy - and it was - I thoroughly enjoyed myself, but one sharp jarring hit on a rock kinda shook me a little, made me worry, so I sat out the multiple other times my hubby and daughter rode. ;

I had a great time at the parades - folks would move (without any prompting on my part) to ensure I could sit on the curb comfortably - even though we were there in plenty of time for good seats. ; The heat bothered me more than usual - so I drank more water than I normally would, also wore my Tilley hat (great for shade - also, when I got a bit overheated, I'd fill it with water to give my head a quick douse). ; We still took in the dinner shows (albeit, I missed the beer at Hoop Dee Doo :)...) and did all the normal dining stuff. But we also took time to do stuff we hadn't normally - like check out Beverley at the Coca Cola shop in Epcot, and tour some more sedate rides that we might've skipped other times (e.g., Spaceship Earth, and all the other moving rides in Epcot - we rode the Figment one over and over, ad nauseum).

You'll have a great time! ; Just be kind to yourself, and treat yourself to little things each day - you'll truly feel like a princess!

As for baby stuff, for me, I was big into buying a first set of ears, bibs for baby, Christmas ornaments with the date on it - some I think had baby's first Christmas marked on it - both at Christmas shop in Liberty Square, and in stores along Downtown Disney. ; I also bought some special princess stuff from MGM/ HS (I knew I was having a girl), and a couple of special pins with the year on it - just to commemorate the visit. ; There's a bundle of stuff you can get. ; Those are the things that come immediately to mind. ; If I think of other things, I'll let you know.

Take care,
    Sheila

4. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

Sheila brought up a really important point. ; Make certain you have travel insurance that covers the baby. ;

Most insurance companies won't cover beyond 28/29 week of pregnancy. ; Reason being that you are at a risk of delivering and the insurance company won't cover that. ; Last thing is you want is a $9000 bill from a US hospital for the delievery of the little one. ; :eek:

5. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Thanks Shelia and Miss Megera for bringing the insurance thing up. ; We will be making sure the insurance is up to date and for baby for sure. ; There is no way I want a huge bill if baby decides to show up early.

My OB also said she would give me a copy of medical papers if we think we need it just in case so we don't have to go to any hospital without any of my medical history.

And Sheila, thanks so much for your reply. ; I certainly forgot about Haunted Mansion ride, that is like my favorite. ; I am excited to see what I will find that is different to do while pregnant instead of the pre-pregnant me.

Baby has his/her own set of mickey ears already, but I will certainly want to look at other things like that too. ; I am hoping to find a couple cute bibs and maybe a crib sheet or tow as well. ; Oh and I forgot about the christmas ornaments and things like that. ; That will be fun to buy/look at too. ; Oh boy I am getting excited to go to Disney!!!

6. amw

amw Member

Many moons ago, I was able to get a ceramic switchplate for the baby room at WDW ... it was Winnie-the-pooh. That's back when they had a Disney Home store at Downtown Disney. My youngest DD still has it in her bedroom.

On a side note, I always decorated my Daughter's rooms with Disney clings. They can be found in most stores (Wal-mart, Sears, Home Depot, etc.) in the paint dept. That way I can paint the room a solid colour, and stick the clings on. The youngest liked to move them around, and they don't dammage the walls.

As the girls grew, the idea was that they could change the clings. However, My DD8 still keeps her princess ones (on Winnie-the-pooh yellow), and my DD6 still has her Winnie-the-pooh clings (on princess hot pink walls). . ::)

7. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

friends of ours had a baby not long before our honeymoon, and we were able to find a mickey rattle type thing. It was a ball with a chime in it, and it had mickey on the top...I tried to convince hubby to buy 2 (one for them and one to keep for us, but he didn't want to......then we get pregnant a few months later and he kicked himself) ; we got it at a downtown disney store, not sure which one though

8. I just thought that there was a lot more baby Mickey and Minnie characters last October around WDW - that and more Thumper stuff than I'd seen before. ; Maybe those might make nice "themes."

I did the Walmart clings too for DD - Princess. ; Easy to add to dressers as well as walls - and the girls do move them around. (The eldest insists on keeping hers too.)

9. I u diseny

I u diseny Member

went we were down in sept.. I bougth my grandson ; a ; mickey mouse towel and had his name put on it ,,,,,,I also got ; very large tote with mickey mouse on it that ; he use as his diaper bag,