Basketball

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by haunteddoc, Feb 17, 2012.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Our high school marching band is holding a fund raiser with the Harlem Wizards a week from Monday and I have been asked to takes pics. ; Unlike the Globetrotters, who bring their own team to play against, the Wizards play against local people. ;

Looking for suggestions on how to shoot, not the basketball the camera. ; Not sure if flash, on camera or remote, will be allowed. ; I am assuming that will need high shutter speed and high ISO to catch the action. ; But, where would be a good place to plant myself? ; Baseline, sideline, stands? ; I think I will be allowed to move around.

Should be a fun night for everyone. ; Working on getting a "ringer" to play for our team. ; One of our nurses father-in-law is an ex NBA player, and college hall of famer. ; Hopefully he will be able to play. ; Would be fun to surprise the Wizards!! (Although they have probably had this happen to them before.)

2. DdOrow

DdOrow Member

any events for 2012?

3. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Probably will be a yearly fundraiser for us. ; Each year we hold a marching band contest which is a lot of work, takes lots and lots of people and resources to pull off. ; The Wizards game made more money with very little effort and the kids loved it. ; The players actually had lunch with the kids at the elementary and middle schools. ; Needless to say it was a big hit and an easy fun fundraiser. ; Everyone associated with the Wizards were great to work with.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Having worked on a couple of band shows, I completely understand why you like this one better. ; I don't have any tips for you on shooting the basketball though... I've only tried it once and didn't have much luck.

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

As long as you can move around the court, you should be okay. ; If you are relegated to a seat or spot on the court, I'd suggest one of the four corners. ; That way you get a bit of an angle on both hoops and are usually uninstructed.

Sent from my iPhone...

6. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Luckily I can move anywhere I can, even stepping onto the court if need be. ; I wasn't sure where I could go but watching the photog from the paper that was there he went everywhere he wanted. ; Hopefully will get another chance to shoot next year.