Anyone Build their own PC?

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Jeff Fillmore, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Okay- since my computer seems to have 'one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel' I was again thinking of finally building my own machine. ; Every time I get a new computer this is something I consider and- so far anyway- have always passed on. ; But THIS time I am motivated- still completely in the dark- but motivated.

So once again asking for advice here. ; Who has done this? ; Is it difficult? ; What is the advantage? ; The disadvantage? ; Is there a book or website I can study? ; Where is a good place to buy the components?
    What about an OS?

2. scottoliver

scottoliver Member

It's not very difficult. I suggest Newegg.com for
    components. Generally, here's what you'll need:

Case
    Power supply
    Motherboard
    Processor
    Heat sink for processor (may be included with processor)
    Other cooling fans if not included with case
    Memory (RAM)
    DVD drive
    Hard drive(s)

I suggest starting with choosing a motherboard. From there you'll generally know what you can use with that motherboard.

Personally I use Intel processors but AMDs can be a little less costly.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yes, I've built my own PC before. ; It's been a few years, but it wasn't that hard....I think the hardest thing was installing the heat sink for the CPU.

Advantages: ; Full warranties on products. ; You can get 3 to 5 year warranty on the hard drive. ; Other components, not that much, but odds are if it's going to fail, it'll be out of the box. ; You also get to choose which video card from scratch. ; You can also get exactly the size of the desktop that you want, from full size (cheapest) to shuttle (expensive, but I think they include the motherboard).

Disadvantage: ; Could be more expensive, especially with the OS cost.

Book/website: ; I'm sure they exist, I don't have knowledge of one.

Components: ; I bought my components at Fry's. ; You may be able to get good components from NewEgg or similar....but returns could be a problem as you can't just drive back when the motherboard is bad. ; My first motherboard was bad. ; I also had a floppy disk size built in memory card reader, which was really convenient....it plugged straight into a USB port on the motherboard.

OS: ; The tricky part. ; It looks like you can still get Windows XP Home OEM for about $120. ; OEM means Microsoft won't help you with problems. ; But XP is stable and easy to install - really. ; The only caveat is that you have to buy some kind of hardware with the OS....

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

It definitely isn't hard to do, the BIG benefit as far as I am concerned, is that you get exactly what you want for each piece. ; Yes, it might be more expensive, BUT you are getting better pieces. ; The other thought all together different is, have you considered a Mac?

5. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Yes I am also considering a Mac. ; Just don't know if I can swing the cost right now of what I would want- if I did- plus more software for photo processing on top of everything else.

6. PolynesianMedic

I hear you, the Mac Book Pro, 13" isn't that badly priced, and Aperture 3 is only like another $200 on top of it. ; I would check NewEgg though, because they do have bare bones systems that will help you get started on the build process.

7. Roger

Jeff, what are you using now? ; Photoshop?

As for the dark side[nb]Not that one, the other one[/nb], well, if you join it your transition will be complete. ; ;D

You can start "small", although I wouldn't recommend it for photos, but they do make a Mac Mini. ; Honestly, it's one of those...choice things.

The cheapest way to go would be to replace the hard drive. ; Unless you've got one of those Commodore 64 all-in-one computers[nb]Yes, they exist. ; With DVD-R, built in video screen, trackpad....[/nb] it is possible. ; In fact they should have designed the desktop with the ability to add more memory and replace the hard drive....they've really improved the chassis design in the last 4 years.

8. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Yeah I don't see how I could deal with a 13" screen for long. ; Typing on my wifes laptop now which is 14" I think- no thanks. ; Will a macbook work with the 24" pc monitor I already have or do they have their own special monitors?

As for software- I'm already kind of invested with Photoshop, Lightroom, Noise Ninja, and Topaz all of which I should be able to just uninstall and put in the new machine. ;

I'll probably replace the drive in the old machine and make it the kids eventually. ; I've never really been happy with that computer. ; It's a dell and not a full tower- kind of a slim hybrid thingy which is a pain to do anything to.

9. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Is the new Windows 7 bad? ; That seems to be what new machines come loaded with.

10. Roger

Jeff, if you can deal with Vista, then Win 7 will be a blessing. ; I'm ready to switch to Win 7 at work as soon as we get corporate anti-virus updated.

Macs: ; You can buy a special cable to export from a Macbook to any monitor - DVI or Component.
    And I've heard Adobe will allow you to switch your licenses once.

You should be able to replace your hard drive in your Dell though. ; I know the one of which you speak, we have one on loan from our bank.[nb]Loan = monthly rental as part of their check 21 scanning system. ; $50 a month isn't that bad when you consider we don't have to go to the bank everyday.[/nb]

11. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Jeff, if you have an educational email address (or access to one), you can get Windows 7 for $30. ; If you want more details, PM me. ; I highly recommend Windows 7 64 bit. ; I am not wild about Macs, but mostly from the perspective of a lot of people who use them have arrogant attitudes about them (I made a 'fart wafting' reference in regard to the people who use them elsewhere...that's from a South Park episode about hybrids, but the same applies). Additionally, I think you pay a lot for design aesthetic with anything Apple.

12. PolynesianMedic

Tim has gone to Windows 7 over Vista, and from last conversation, really likes it's performance. ; He has a rocket for a machine.

13. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Newegg seems to have some nice 'kits' that I assume the parts will all work together despite their disclaimer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.354213

So something like this for $600-ish plus $175 for Win7 and $25 for a DVD Drive? ; $800 seems not too bad compared to some of the regular computers I looked at today with similar specs.

Can Windows 7 home edition be installed on 3 machines the way ms office home edition can? ; If so then I could update all the computers in the house. (and reduce the cost of this machine in my mind at the same time.)

14. Roger

No.

Office like anti-virus is a whole other ballgame than an OS.

15. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Dang- oh well.

Someone else mentioned an OEM version of 7- what is that? ; Looks cheaper on Newegg but says for resale only.

16. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I guess Win7 is $65 now. ; Still, a pretty good price: http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

If you poke around in that thread, you'll find a way to get it even if you don't currently have an .edu email address (at least there should be). ; There is a way to sign up for some fake Australian email or something like that (it's been a long time since I did this, I ordered mine back in November).

17. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

lol- 'theultimatesteal'?? ; I'll check it out- thanks.

18. Dan

Dan Member

I exclusively build my own systems, except for laptops where I don't have the option.

I've done it all my life, except, well.. my first system was purchased as a sort of barebones already assembled product. ; A 386 it was, ahh those were the days..

So anyway, first off, OEM. ; This is a weird situation. ; It's supposedly only for people that are building their own systems.

Okay.. and if you're not building your own system the chances are you're working with a system made by someone else, be it Dell or whoever, and you're looking to upgrade the OS to 7. ; So you're not purchasing a new license, you'd want an upgrade, surely? ; Basically I don't see why you'd not purchase an OEM if you wanted a full copy and not an upgrade.

As mentioned, supposedly the OEM license means you don't get MS support. ; But come on.. how much support are they actually going to give you anyway?

I built a system for my dad last year and used my first OEM OS. ; It was kinda weird, with some sort of fine print about having to install it using some sort of weird process.. but I ignored that and it installed just fine. ; So.. I dunno what that was about.

That was Win 7, I'm using it too. ; I'm not wholeheartedly behind it, it annoys me in some ways.. but it's been a fairly decent OS overall so long as you can accept the aggravating ways that MS decided to say "from now on, THIS is how you'll be using your PC, we're not going to let you use it the way you're used to". ; It's probably not a good idea to go into details here, but.. ; at first it's a bit weird, you have to get used to the ways they decided to force you to change.

So about system building.. the good points are that you can make it exactly according to your desires. ; If you're feeling like you might want to add a bunch of extra hard drives you could get a motherboard with a bunch of extra SATA ports. ; I like good quality sound hardware.. if I wanted I could go pick up a reasonably high end fancy schmancy audiophile sound card that's supposed to provide better quality headphone outputs. ; I tend to go for large, capacious cases that have plenty of room to add new stuff like more hard drives. ; My current one is way too heavy, it's made of steel instead of aluminum, but darned if it isn't solid.

If you're not a techie this may not be relevant. ; If you don't have exacting needs this may not be useful. ; But for me, I really, REALLY prefer having motherboards that I've picked. ; For instance, my current one is good for overclocking. ; If you're not into this you don't need to do it, I'd advise you don't attempt it if you're not feeling knowledgable about it.. but in my case I'm running an Intel Q6600 processor, an early quad core model, it's stock speed is 2.4 ghz. ; I'm running it at 3.2ghz, and I achieved that speed increase relatively painlessly. ; That's a pretty significant performance boost, and I got it nearly for free. ; Except for the higher priced enthusiast motherboard and the need for a larger, higher performance heat sink.

The bad side is that it does cost more. ; In general when I've done comparisons it seems you can usually find a full system on sale somewhere for less than it would cost to get all the parts and build it yourself. ; I suspect that's partially because those mass produced systems probably use cheaper hardware. ; But in this case DIY usually doesn't save you money.

And there's the potential to destroy your stuff. ; Ya'know.. maybe you might not ground yourself properly and you might destroy your RAM or CPU. ; Maybe you might be clumsy and bend a CPU pin. ; If you don't get the head sink attached correctly you could.. ya'know.. burn out the CPU.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just saying that the potentials exist. ; I am NOT careful about what I do. ; I do my system building work ON THE CARPET, using no method to ground myself other than by touching the ungrounded frame of my computer case before getting started. ; This is not what you'd call the recommended procedure, but so far I haven't damaged anything. ; It's not like you'll blow up your CPU if you look at it crosseyed. ; But it's serious business and you do have to approach it with respect. ; I think I tend not to breath when I first open up the CPU and pull it out. ; I always get a little thrill holding the brains of the system, I imagine the sort of advanced technology I'm holding in my hands. ; And then I carefully put it into the CPU socket and lock it down so it's not going anywhere and breath a sigh of relief. ; And do take care not to touch the smooth metal top of the CPU with your fingers.

Installing the heat sink can be scary, but it's really no big deal. ; The stock coolers have their good points and their bad points. ; But so far I've been reasonably pleased with them, they install fairly easily. ; The aftermarket sink I use was a bit of a pain.

And otherwise.. it's just a lot of fiddly stuff. ; You have to mount the motherboard to the case, this can involve putting standoffs in the right places.. you have to get all the wires from your case and plug them in to the right places on the motherboard. ; It's a lot of fiddly fine detail work. ; Let's just say if you have problems with near vision this could be a nightmare. ; You have to plug lots of tiny little connectors into the appropriate pins on the motherboard, and check to be sure the polarity is right for the LEDs (if it's right they'll light up, if it's wrong they don't and you just do it over, no risk of damage). ; You plug in the main power connectors, and of course you plug all your components in. ; And THEN..

You push the power button and cross your fingers. ; It scares the willies out of me every time.

I should just wrap this up now, I'm probably making it sound like an imposing task. ; I honestly can't try to judge it, I've been doing this for too long now, it's too familiar to me. ; But it's not particularly hard, it's a combination of ability to follow instructions (which might be poorly translated from another language) and manual dexterity in being able to plug difficult things in. ; I've had some real issues dealing with enormous video cards and trying to get them into tight spaces.

Oh, one more possible down side. ; Having too many choices. ; If you go to newegg and you see the bajillion different motherboard options and wonder how you'll ever decide which one to use.. yeah, that can be a problem. ; I picked mine specifically on the basis of feedback from various enthusiast forums where people were talking about their preferred systems for overclocking. ; My board had some nice features and was fairly feature rich beyond just the overclocking.

If you have no such specific needs it can be a bit bewildering. ; Even once you decide what sort of chipset you're using and filter out the options so you're looking at only the boards that work for that type of CPU there's still a lot of options.

If you end up going with an Intel i7 chipset (I'd recommend it, although I have an advantage in that a local store sells the cheapest of the i7 CPUs for significantly less than you can get it for online, I have no idea why) I can tell you what motherboard I used for the system I built last year. ; I was quite happy with it, if you want features it's quite feature rich. ; It's well laid out, with the SATA connectors placed in such a way that they're clear of large video cards. ; So far it's been reliable enough, at this point I think I can recommend it to others.

19. Roger

beep beep....beep.........beep beep....beep

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

I have built my last couple of desktops with pretty good success. ; Other than two sticks of bad ram that gave me some trouble in the first one, I haven't had any major problems. ; The thing I like about it is that you have infinite options and you can buy top quality parts. ; I built my last one 5 years ago and it still runs as good as the day I built it. ; Other than upgrading the hard drives as I fill them up with pictures I haven't had any trouble. ; The way I look at it, you don't save any money building your own computer, but you get to choose all of the parts which allows you to buy quality stuff which should last longer and save you money in the long run. ;

Another option to look at is having the company you buy the parts from assemble it for you. ; I didn't have the time to really do all the research on all of the components for the last computer I built, so I had the parts supplier build it for me. ; I get all of my parts from www.Directron.com and they have a program where if you buy the operating system from them, they will assemble and test the computer for $35. ;

It turned out to be a good decision because I picked a CPU heatsink and fan assembly that was to big to fit in the case, so they called me, told me that the one I picked wouldn't fit and recommended an alternate that would. ; I would have lost more than $35 in shipping and restocking fees[nb]assuming I could have even returned the heatsink[/nb] if I would have assembled it myself.