Any Interest in D70 Kit with 18-70 and 70-300 ED lenses?

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by MagicMeets, Mar 16, 2008.

1. MagicMeets

MagicMeets Member

Might be stepping up to the D300 with a 18-200 VR.

So, I'll probably be selling my D70 with 18-70 and 70-300 ED lenses. All in excellent shape and working fine. Even have a 512M Extreme CF card to go with it.

Curious how much I could probably get for this setup? Anyone?
    Should I ebay it all together or as separates?

Fred

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I would probably ebay them with the 300 separate, but the others combined, so it's kind of like a "shoot right out of the ebay delivery" package, while the 300 may be wanted by someone who already has a D70, 80, 60, 40, etc.

3. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I would agree with Roger. If I had any money at all I might think about it but I have NO money.

4. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

D300, huh? You lucky dog. If you had some fast lenses to sell I might've been interested. I need those with wider angles to compete with Tim in the dark ride photography challenge

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  5. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Yeah, I need a good "prime" (does nikon call them that?) lens.

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Hey Ray, try this for your next trip. Just rent one.
    I am renting one for my next trip.
    Roger uses this company and likes them, and I think scottwdw used them before too.
    I've already got mine reserved for my trip. Beats spending $1800 for me right now.

Here is the sigma 30mm f1.4. I believe it is the fastest widest lens that is available for us nikon guys right now.

http://www.lensrentals.com/item/sigma-300m-f1.4-for-nikon-dx

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

a prime lens is simply one that has a fixed focal length... (doesn't zoom). it's not a brand specific term.

8. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

That's right, I always forget about rental.

9. MagicMeets

MagicMeets Member

I know it's off topic but since someone else brought it up, I'll throw rentglass.com into the lens rental hat. They were actually the first (or one of the first) to start the idea of lens rental.

10. MagicMeets

MagicMeets Member

So What should I ask for the D70 with the 18-70 and a 512M Extreme card? What about the 300 as a separate?

Thanks for the help.

Fred

11. Roger

Fixed it for ya Craig. I think there was a MF Nikkor 35/1.4, but Nikon is behind both Canon AND Sony without a 35/1.4.

12. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but i think you'll do better with the 300 as a separate because, unfortunately for your situation, camera body values drop like a rock once succeeding bodies come along. ie. the original digital rebel is a nice paperweight now that it's in it 4th iteration, even though it cost about $1,000 when it was first released. same with memory cards; don't ask to much for a 512 CF when you can get a 4gb CF at staples every other week for about 40-50 bucks. the 300mm as a side deal might be more appealing to someone who wants to add to their lens lineup.

13. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Youre right Roger. I always forget about this one. I dont even know if it would meter on my d80. I have never looked into it. I have a hard time mf on my d80. the green dot just doesnt cut it for me. my old (film)camera had a nice split screen viewfinder. on my d80 I find I am doing all mf by eye, and then when I zoom in on a monitor, I have usually missed. I am sure I do not have the ability to mf in a dark ride!

nikon 35 1.4 at bhphoto

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Hi, Fred!

As I have an 18-70 I want to sell on eBay, I've been watching them lately. They are going between $150 to $200 for used ones depending on when the auction ends, who is selling them (good/bad/low feedbacks make a difference) and condition of the lens.

Is the 70-300 the VR lens? If it is, I would sell each item separately as you'll get the most for each that way. If it's not the VR lens, then sell the D70 with the 70-300 together. Sell the 18-70 by itself. You should mention in each auction you have other items and would give a better shipping price for multiple sales.

Of course, there's always Craigslist, there I'd sell them in one add giving individual prices and a package price. There's also a few forums where people sell:

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37 (for Nikon gear)

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard ... &forum=137

Always offer and only take Paypal. It's riskier in those places.

Good luck!

15. Dan

Dan Member

Um.. let me say that paypal is NOT a safe way to receive payment. You might see the money be deposited in your account and then ship off the gear only to find that the money is later yanked back out of your account because they determined that the account was fraudulent. That's right, they take the money back in those circumstances instead of reimbursing the victims. The only real guarantee is that the buyer isn't exposing his information to the seller, things like credit card and bank account numbers are kept safe.

Otherwise there's nothing safe about paypal.

16. MagicMeets

MagicMeets Member

Still on the fence but it's itching at me more and more each day. I REALLY want to get this camera!!! Somebody stop me! :)

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

;D You are asking the wrong group of people if you are looking for us to tell you NOT to buy new gear. I'm with you as I really do want to get a D300. From everything I've read, this is one of the few times, I've seen pros recommend getting a body over lenses as a next purchase choice. Of course, the D3 is supposed to be even better but at $5K, ain't going to happen at my house. ::)

18. MagicMeets

MagicMeets Member

I guess my main concern is that while I love taking pictures, I am afraid the camera will be too advanced for me to do the basics. One thing I really like about the D70 is that I can simply flip it to auto mode and point and shoot. I'm fairly certain I wont be able to do that with the D300. I know it has some automatic function but will it be enough for me not to worry.

19. Roger

Then wait! The D90 is expected soon. Before 4/30 if you believe the rumors.

20. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Fred,

one thing I have found out is that with a great group of people on this forum, there is never anything too advanced about the camera. You just have to be willing to ask how to do something. Granted, I get a lot of one-on-one time with Mr. Devine and he helped me advance my skills with my Nikon D80 (mind you he's a canon guy so it obviously doesn't matter the camera just the advice).

All, I found is that you need to know where to find how to make certain setting adjustment and then follow the advice of others.

I hardly even go into auto mode anymore.