American Idol is coming to the Studios.

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios Photos' started by Roger, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooaaaaannnnnn!

3. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

While I like the auditions for AI I do not enjoy the show where the people can actually sing. I don't like the show or the hype surrounding it and an attraction based on it can only make it worse. I think this would fit better in DCA since it is a California themed park I think it would make sense the people could actually experience what so many who go to California experience when they are told they can't do whatever they are auditioning for.

4. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

I'm really having a hard time thinking of anything that might be more annoying than this. I would have rather seen another mindless game show. Deal or No Deal ? I can't listen to bad karaoke at a dive bar - I'm certainly not going to sit through it when there are dozens of other great attractions nearby.

5. Tim

very well put, john.

6. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Yeah, and you don't even get Simon's terrible comments (the best part of the show).

7. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

And another thing ....

Can you imagine how many renditions of songs from High School Musical you'll have to sit through ? Aaaaacck.

8. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Oh, I didn't even think about that. I can't even listen to the real versions much less bad annoying teens singing them over and over again. This is a bad idea.

9. Dan

Dan Member

I dunno.. I HATE the show. I hate every single freaking part of it. From the way they really tear into the people who perform not so well (there is NO call for that cruelty, it reflects poorly on ALL of them as human beings and I would tell that to their faces), to the hype about supposedly making a new star..

But here's the thing. If you strip out all that junk and take some sort of purist alternative concept where they try to find people in the audience who really can sing, I could enjoy it. I'm serious. Back on the cruise I went to a karaoke night. I did NOT sing, there isn't enough alcohol in the entire world to get me to get in front of a group of people and sing. Understand that I really cannot sing, it's not just that I'm not good but I seem to be missing a few key concepts, it just doesn't work for me. I still to the stereo when I'm in the car, but ONLY when I'm alone. The lack of musical character doesn't bother me.

But anyway, my point is that while we had the usual terrible karaoke singers (who the audience was very nice to, the worst singers sometimes got the best applause, I love that) we had a few people who were REALLY good. There was a woman who tackled Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About". She was GOOD! I'm not going to try to rate her to the level of if she was "American Idol good", but she really handled it well and it was a pleasure to listen to.

If I can just forget about American Idol for the moment and imagine that it'll just be about people from the audience getting up and singing, hopefully more often than not delivering good performances, I could support this. I love listening to "normal" people singing. The good ones, I mean. I'm not saying I want it to be like karaoke, I mean that I know there are a lot of people out there who can sing well, and I would enjoy listening to them do it.

Whether that innocent idea can survive the American Idol treatment I'm less certain of. The only good thing I could say about that is if they had an animatronic Simon then maybe they could have him out in the open and design it so that people can punch it right in the face, that I would enjoy that greatly.

10. Tim

i will agree with your basic premise, dan...
    the later rounds with people that have talent are somewhat enjoyable; i cannot stand the opening rounds when it's mostly a bunch of crackheads who just want to get on tv acting like fools on tv. remember the guy who sang the Stalker Song to paula abdul ? that guy admitted to being a local comedian who did it just for goofs... somehow i don't think singing about domestic violence and stalking is all that amusing.

give me carrie underwood or kelly clarkson over a lot of these idiots over the years, hands down. i want to see and hear talent. THAT is what i find entertaining.

11. Dan

Dan Member

Nope. Never heard of it. Yet somehow I don't feel that I've missed anything.

12. Tim

you didn't miss anything substantive, that's for darn sure. but if you watch the video, it's kind of creepy. not funny, for sure.

13. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

That guy was really weird. I thought the mexican guy that sang the "brothers" song was funny.

14. Dan

Dan Member

I had no idea that American Idol had become such an intentional freak show. I had assumed that the people singing honestly thought the had the ability to sing well and wanted to impress the public. That was why I had such harsh words for the likes of Simon Cowell.

The idea that people are intentionally coming up on stage to sing badly as a gag makes me respect the show even less.

In a way I can respect the idea of the stalker song. No, I didn't watch the link (I appreciate having the link, but I'm not going to even look, it'll do my sanity good to not get sucked in), and believe me I can't say I support any idea of violence towards women, even in joke form. BUT.. if you look at it as this guy putting on such an appalling performance, apparently knowing that it would make it on to prime time TV anyway.. it's a sort of performance art statement on what television entertainment has become. He serves up a repugnant performance and they thank him for it and splash it across national television. What more needs to be said?

There's a reason I listen to old time radio shows broadcast on Internet radio instead. And my sister and her boyfriend have gone the extra step of not getting any sort of cable or satellite television service, they just watch DVDs. They got a brand new big screen plasma TV and all they use it for is watching DVDs or playing Playstation games. It's not a bad approach, really, with the money they save on cable they've built up a HUGE DVD collection.

off topic PS: you want a big shock? Try ordering a big plasma screen TV through mail order, but when it comes you find that the screen has been punched clear through by the forklift truck that lifted the parcel onto the truck. Yeah, the screen they have now is their second, after the first arrived completely destroyed by careless handling.

15. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

What bugs me about that show is the way they cut it. On occasion their auditions will cut between the judges and the contestant and there are no wide shots showing both contestant and judges when they do this it is NOT the actual audition it is an audition that took place in front of producers. All contestants are screened and most of the ones that are put through are terrible that's what bugs me about the show.

16. Tim

that happened to a guy i work with. i wasn't sure if he was going to cry or go postal. he was NOT happy.

17. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Well at least it wasn't FOB Shipper!

18. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I have proudly never watched this show and will proudly never stand in line for this attraction. I can only hope it draws some crowds from the new toy story ride!

19. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

OOh good call it may reduce lines. All of a sudden I'm all for this attraction being built.

20. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

My wife and I are big fans of the show. BUT, we don't start watching until they get it down to the final 12 (the group that goes on the tour). To us, any watching before that is simply the producers attempt to showcase the lame for ratings. Once they narrow it down to 12 the cream starts to rise to the top. Or at least those poeple that garner the most votes.

I am hard pressed to think of how this attraction will succeed. You are pretty much stripping out everything that makes the TV show a success. And that success comes from the hype machine, the background stories on the contestants and the other stuff that makes people want to fall in lvoe with their favorite.

All I can think of is that this will become a bad cabaret (I'm sure the British term for Kareoke) which is a term Simon uses to slam people's performance.