All-Star Movies - "realistic HDR"

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Tim, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

The goal here was to take what was in the original photograph and boost some of the details that were lacking a bit. ; I was not looking for anything other than a "realistic HDR". ; I found an action on the 'web, "tamed" it with blending and opacity, created a few adjustment layers, and recorded the whole thing to a new action. ; Comments?

BEFORE
    [attachimg=1]

AFTER
    [attachimg=2]

BEFORE
    [attachimg=3]

AFTER
    [attachimg=4]

Attached Files:

2. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

That is exactly how I intended to use HDR. ; I love how you subtly bring out the details that are lost in the shadows or the background

3. Tim

that was all i wanted to do. ; bring out some lost shadow detail, recover some blown highlight detail. ; nothing more. ;

4. gary

gary Member

these are really good, the andy looks a little more hdr ish, at least to my eyes, i'd like to try some hdr, i'm hoping to be into a little this spring, i've seen some really interesting city nightscapes , so i've got a few ideas for vancouver, hopefully we'll get at least one clear night while there.

5. ELinder

ELinder Member

I must admit, my first reaction was, wow, that seems like a lot of work for a very subtle result. I really don't see much that couldn't be done by just taking the original pic into Photoshop ACR and using the sliders, no layers, blending, or actions. Perhaps it's just these examples, or maybe I'm missing something. What were you able to bring out with this action you couldn't otherwise? Or is it the fact that it's a one click, quick action?

Erich

6. Tim

The before shots were done in ACR. ; Notice the detail on the railing around woody and the hockey net behind goofy. ; And yes, its a one click solution now. ;

(from my htc incredible)

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

Ah, I can definitely see the time saving advantage with a one click solution. I don't know about anyone else, but after a while I just get burned out sitting in Photoshop or Aperture after a big photo trip. I keep saying i'm going to delve deeper into the in camera jpeg settings to try to cut down on the post work, but I also don't want to give up shooting RAW. I wish we could set the settings in the camera, and have them written to the exif , so the photo software could read those and apply them to the file, but still have the ability to reset those settings afterward out of the camera.

Erich

8. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the way HDR should be done. ; Are you sharing your action, Tim?

9. Tim

Thanks Dennis. ; I will see if I can find the original action that I started with later tonight. ; I made some changes to it. ; Let's see what you can come up with. ;

(from my htc incredible)