advice on a lens

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Deano, May 7, 2008.

1. Deano

Deano Member

i was thinking of picking up a good but cheap zoom lens for my cannon 400D, and i was looking at this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... lenses.htm

anyone any advice, is it a good lens for the money, anyone any experience with it.

i was also looking at a cannon EF75-300 lens but its about £80 dearer

2. gary

gary Member

probably work ok on static subjects during the daytime, mt advice, wait until you can get a faster lens, you can always stop down, but you cannot open up if it isn't there

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I'll be quite honest to say I have never heard of Canon producing a 90-300mm lens. But then I doublechecked and yes, Canon produced that for the international users but Canon USA never picked it up.

If it was based on the 75-300, it probably isn't that good. Canon's 75-300 IS got improvements in the 70-300 IS, but this model doesn't seem to have gotten those improvements.

Plus it doesn't have an USM, but I'm learning that's not a problem unless you want quiet focus. The dilemna of waiting for a faster lens is that you're either going to lose the zoom and get an 300/4L or lose focal length with a 70-200/2.8 or 4L. The 100-400L is the same speed but L quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i think for the price the 70-300 IS/USM is probably the best compromise. its not L-quality, but it has a lot of range and it's quiet and stabilized and not too expensive. once you get up into the realm of the big boys, you gotta pay to play and L glass ain't cheap.

how much would a basic 70-200 f/4 L set ya back? that's another option.

5. gary

gary Member

here's what i see as the best compromise/solution, check out the used market for a 70-200 f/4,L the non IS model is showing up in good numbers now that many have jumped for the IS model
    www.keh.com has a brand new one for $600, 18 months ago this lens was $100 more,
    i've bought a number of lenses from keh, both new and used and can highly reccommend dealing with them, i feel as do many others that their rating system for used lenses is on the conservative side, so the good rating tends toward excellent condition, etc.
    this lens can aslo be used with a teleconvertor, get the canon 1.4, also can be found in good shape on the used market, that plus the crop factor will give you some serious reach in a small fairly lightweight package

addendum, now you are started down the path of L glass, and trust tim and i, there is a difference

6. Deano

Deano Member

thanks for the advice guys, i looked up the lens you mentioned and near had a heart attack, i'd love to get it but sadly has i don't work in photography professionally(would love to), there is no way i could afford something like that :-\

i'm gonna have to just keep looking about