A window into your world..please post...

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by hulagirl, Mar 3, 2010.

1. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

I posted a challenge on my Facebook page today asking my friends to post photos to my wall that gave me a window into their world. ; I just thought it would be a fun, kinda silly thing to do, but the responses have been amazing and truly wonderful. ;

This was one of the posts, made by a very dear friend of mine, who is a firefighter. ; I find myself in total awe this evening. ; Photography is becoming more and more meaningful to me with every passing day.

I'll try it here too. ; If you like...post a photo to this thread that gives me a window into your world. ; Gives us all a window into your world. ; It doesn't have to be dramatic. ; There are other posts to my page that are quiet and simple and beautiful in their stillness.

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

2. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I can't compete with firemen - nor Jeff's care for his daughter. ; As a single guy, regular business job, vacations and travel when possible, cat to care for, love of cars and cameras, wildlife and bird junkie...my life is hard to summarize for want of a single defining inspiration, need, or mission. ; So my simplistic photo that summarizes those mundane bits of my life as much as possible would be this one:

[​IMG]

It combines my daily commute, 5 times a day x2, which speaks to my dedication to my job, it involves my car, which I love, I'm using a camera to take it, which is always on me and a defining part of my life, it involves a sunset, speaking for my love of light and nature, and is Florida, where I live and derive so much of my inspiration, as well as earn my living and make my home.

It's the best I can do in one shot!

4. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Awww, Justin...how much I can relate sometimes. ; But I believe somewhere down deep that there is extraordinary ; even in the ordinary. ; You just have to be able to pause and listen enough to be able to experience it once in awhile. ; You do...I know you do. ; Your description of light this week, makes me sure of it.

No one expects or even wants you to compete. ; I bet there are days when Rob and maybe even Jeff long for what you describe as "ordinary" days.

For what it's worth, I love your photo. ; It speaks of the rhythm of life and the comfort many of us find in our daily routines. ; There is never anything ordinary in a sunset..it is different every single day and sometimes, we're rushing so much, we don't even notice it. ; And it speaks of home.

Jeff, thank you for sharing this window to your world. ; I've looked at every single photo on your photostream over the last month and many of them speak volumes.

I hope more of you will post today.

ps....Justin, my husband wants to know what kind of car you drive! ; :D

5. zackiedawg

Ah...car! ; I love cars just about as much as cameras...and I've had a strange collection of them over the years since my tastes don't usually run with most folks' tastes. ; I tend to like something a wee bit different, or something 'secret' that fewer people have discovered. ; My first car was a 1985 Honda Prelude, which at the time wasn't very well known in the sporty field. ; But that one met its end, and I ended up with a Hyundai Excel for college. ; OK...not a special car - but I still loved it and hammered it into the ground. ; When I graduated and moved to California in 1990, I got a Mitsubishi Montero - which was a real boxy, battle-tested 4x4 in its early days - with locking differentials and steel plates underneath - one of the very early SUVs before SUVs had become something everyone aspires to. ; Ended up going through a second Montero before SUVs just became far too popular and were all over the roads (even though most aren't true 4x4 vehicles designed for off-road use). ; So I decided to move on. ; Eventually, I ended up with a VW Passat sedan, when they were a brand new design - they borrowed heavily from corporately-owned partner Audi, and made a budget German luxury sedan. ; I fell in love, but again, they became popular and started to appear all over the road. ; So I decided to stay with the Passat model, but move to something much more rare - their W8 wagon model - an all-wheel drive, 8-cylinder, station wagon - the stealthiest sports car in the world, and one that could haul appliances home too. ; :) ; I became totally addicted to this concept, and since wagons have never really caught on in the states, in 2007 I bought another one - this time a 6-cylinder model with more power, still AWD. ; So this is my current baby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now for the technical list, which noone cares about except car people: ; full-time AWD, 18" lightweight rims, lowered sport suspension, 3.6L VR6 engine, APR performance chip, KPR filter, dual exhaust, 310HP, 300Ft.Lbs torque, 4-piston calipers on 12.5" ventilated discs, . ; Room for 5, tons of luggage, top speed north of 150, mileage 27mpg highway, runs equally well in dry, rain, or snow. ; I love my German long-roof racer! ; :)

Oh, and obviously more of the quirks of my taste - I don't like normal car colors. ; This one is metallic mocha brown. ; I've owned an orange car, a red car, a two-toned white and gold car, a dark flat brown car, a flat-satin silver car, and a forest green car (OK, and two black cars). ; I love the colors that you don't see at every intersection you pull up to!

6. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Oh no. ; Car talk! ; I live in a house full of car lovers. ::) ; Jim drives an old rust colored '79 Datsun 280Z for half the year and a monstrous black Dodge Ram Turbo Cummins Diesel Mega Cab the other half. ; (just saying it makes him grunt like Tim the Tool Man Taylor) Talk about different worlds! ; My guys will love this post!

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

To quote one of my wife's friends... ; "I drive a Saturn". ; Hold your applause.

8. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

LOL...Okay wonderful. ; Now...where is the window to your world shot?? :)

And where is my signature my saturn driving friend?? ;

9. Tim

i set the forum to only show siggies once per page.

10. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Oh, I see.

So now you are saying I talk too much.

Grin.

11. zackiedawg

A little window into my car world, just for fun:

[attachimg=1]

[nb]Disclaimer: In case there are any police seeing this, or any who happen to run this site, do not try this at home kids! ; Or anywhere for that matter! ; This was a professional driver, on a closed course, under supervised conditions. ; Or, no, wait...it was all just in my imagination and never really happened. ; Or no...it was photoshopped. ; No wait, I wasn't even there at the time. ; Billy did it![/nb]

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

12. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

:D ; You guys are totally killing me today. ; Justin, I 'bout fell on the floor laughing at your footnote.

13. Tim

you are a sick puppy. ; i might need to speak with mr. williams about you.

14. zackiedawg

He once owned a Porsche. ; He can sympethize. ; Besides, I snapped that shot on my way to St. Petersburg for a work convention...so I was doing it for the job! ; :)

15. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Remember, he is the Footnote King. ; And it is it is a glorious thing to be the Footnote King.

16. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a ; nice stretch of road to play with, as obvious by your speedometer.

17. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

That's totally kph.[nb]The Wozniak Defense.[/nb] ; Those darn foreign cars making the metric system larger than the King's English...
    ;D

18. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

speedometer only goes to 110 mph:
    (but it did it before you left the intersection)

I finally sold it to buy my new van, oh well!

19. ELinder

ELinder Member

Wow, Justin, that's a rare car over here. Methinks there's a bunch of car nuts here. I immediately went to your site to see if you had larger photos to see if those were AP Racing calipers. ; 8)

Someone had a Porsche? Me too, a 944 Turbo S. I still miss that car. I was part of the Porsche Club, and did a bunch of driver events with it. I got to drive on Lime Rock, Charlotte inner course, Mid-Ohio, Moroso, and Watkins Glenn.

Erich

20. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

the best vehicle I ever owned. 1986 Ford E350 with a 460 big block. This was nicknamed the Millenium Falcon. ; I once put 6000 lbs of ceramic tile in it. It could haul anything anywhere and always got 7 mpg no matter what.

I had to sell this as gas was costing WAY too much.