A lens hood that puts the price of inkjet ink to shame???

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Roger, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. Scott

Scott Member

That's pretty funny. But I guess if you can afford $6500 for the lens it goes with, you can spend another $500 for the hood.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

ladies and gentlemen, scott breaks his silence!!
    glad to see you again, scott.

as far as the $500 piece of plastic... DOUBT IT!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Well duh. It's an "L" hood ::)

5. holey moley! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Roger

welcome back!

I guess $500 bucks for a replacement lens hood could be worth it.

But I don't think the plastic really costs that much.

7. Dan

Dan Member

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=186977&is=REG&addedTroughType=search&BI=1824&KBID=2466

Check that out.

I've read before that for that model (it comes with the 600mm F4) they used carbon fiber instead of plastic. I can't find the reference now, I thought it was on a Canon site but I can't find it now. However I found a reference to the 500F4 using a carbon fiber hood as well.

So there's your price explanation.

I'm not saying it really costs that much to make something out of CF, I think carbon fiber has become a sort of designer material that manufacturers use to jack up the costs of things. It's great stuff, don't get me wrong.. I've been trying to figure out a way I can make things with it, I fly remote control airplanes and composite construction is.. well.. kind of like L glass to an RC pilot. I'm not joking, Canon users have their white lenses, RC people (RC cars, like real cars, use this too) have the black woven look of carbon fiber. There are some instances where manufacturers have covered non carbon fiber parts with a carbon fiber print, the look has become that much of a desire. But I'm not certain if it's the sort of thing one can cook up in the basement like fiberglass is, not without more specialized equipment, heated molds and such.

The thing is.. CF shouldn't be lighter than plastic, just stronger, but it was mentioned along with the lightweight construction of the lens as a way to save weight. You use it for applications demanding strength. It's beyond me why Canon decided to use it to make a lens hood. It's not like the lens hood is meant to hold any weight.
    Or maybe it is. Maybe the intention was that the hood might take an accidental impact and protect the lens itself. With a lens that heavy the hood would have to take a lot of energy.. it's a weak guess, but it's all I have.

8. Roger

9. Dan

Dan Member

I still think it's expensive too.. it's like they tried to make it more expensive so that it stayed a similar fraction of the cost of the lens. Kind of like how the wired remote for the 30D costs twice as much as the wireless remote for the Digital Rebel. More expensive product, arbitrarily more expensive accessories.

10. JEHI7278

JEHI7278 Member

Why would you need to spend so much on a hood? Wouldn't a cheap one suffice?

11. Roger

I think that if you have that expensive lens, you'll want the matching hood. ; Plus the official hoods are matched to the lens design.

12. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

The lens actually comes with the hood and a nice sturdy case for storage. Hopefully, I will never have to replace the hood on my 500. The case itself is also ~$500 to replace. The cost is probable due to that it is not mass produced, is aimed at the high end/pro market, and that camera accessories in general have large markups. Roger is correct that owners want the hood designed to match the lens. I never have even seen a third party hood for this lens, but I never looked much either.

13. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don't think I've seen 3rd party lens hoods for the high end telephoto lenses either. ; I don't think that they would have a large enough market for to justify making them for the big telephotos. ;

Personally, I wouldn't buy an aftermarket hood for any of my lenses anyway since the one that came from the manufacturer was designed with scallops to match that particular lens. ;

14. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

Lens hoods in general are overpriced from Canon.

I recently bought a beautiful new lens - the EF-S 18-200 IS - and like all Canon lenses, it came with no hood. But I really love having a petal hood on my lenses, not only to act as a sun shade, but to act as a front bumper to protect the glass itself. It also acts as a kick stand when I set the camera down.

But the EW-78D lens hood that Canon makes for this lens is almost $40! So I bought a cheap $9 knock-off instead, and ya know what? It works great. And it's cheap enough that I can easily buy another if I ever crack it or lose it.

EW-78D lens hood - $37.95+$4.95 shipping from B&H

Cheapo knock-off version of the EW-78D - $8.89+free shipping from DealExtreme

15. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I agree with the first part, that the economies of scale don't justify making the hood for most third parties. ; However, I don't agree with the second part. ; I would assume it's much easier to 'reverse engineer' a lens hood than it is a lens, yet many of us (myself included) are not at all reluctant to purchase third party lenses.

16. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

L lenses and certain other ones do come with hoods. ;

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

I agree that its not that hard to reverse engineer a lens hood. ; I was going to say that there can't be much of a market for exact replicas of the original lens hoods, but a quick search on B&H for Nikon Lens Hoods led me to a company called Pearstone, which makes replacement lens hoods for several Nikon lenses that appear to be near perfect matches to the originals. ; So there must be enough of a market or they wouldn't be doing it. ;

However, in most cases, the difference in price was less than $10, and for me personally, for that small of a price difference, I'm going to get the original.

18. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

Yeah, well, L lenses aren't really lenses, per se. They're more like... cars that focus the light for your camera. :D