40mm f2.8 STM Lens

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by PolynesianMedic, Jul 10, 2012.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Price is good...it's a bit slowish though for a standard prime - with a 40mm, I'd prefer sticking to F1.4 to F1.8 or so. ; I like my 40mm F1.8 in that range. ; Can't help but feel like it's almost pointlessly thin - I mean, I get the whole 'pancake' lens concept on a supersmall camera like a mirrorless system camera, but on a bulky DSLR, a pancake lens doesn't really save you a whole lot of bulk, and to me makes the camera more ergonomically awkward. ; Just stick the body cap on your DSLR and walk around handling it and pretending to shoot with it - that's about how it's going to feel with the pancake onboard. ; For me, a slightly protruding lens on a DSLR makes for a great handhold for the left hand and stabilizes the camera.

Of course, this could be Canon's early hint at a future interchangeable lens mirrorless camera, where the pancake design would make much more sense to me. ; Anyway...those are my thoughts!

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2.8 seems to be the new pancake aperture. Olympus loves it while their users put a Panasonic prime on the body.

Anyway though before this month is out Canon will have a mirror less camera. My guess is that it will be using the EF-S mount which would put them in Sony's camp rather than Nikon/olympus/panasonic who made a new mount to go with their cameras.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

For use with a DSLR, I think Justin is spot on with his comments about the lens being awkward. ; The description mentions continuous focus for video, so I wonder if this is a specialty lens aimed at the folks who use their camera predominately for video and not really intended for use for still photography.