2014 NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scottwdw, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I used to do this on another forum. Since WDW360 is 1/3 Canadian, I want to see if anyone is interested in talking Stanley Cup playoffs. Here's the bracket:

[​IMG]

To get this out of the way first, I am a Montreal Canadiens fan. I'm a bit biased there. However, I am also the team photographer for the Syracuse Crunch which is the AHL affiliate of the Tampa Bay Lightning. I have photographed and cheered for 11 players on the Lightning's playoff roster. Of course, they would play each other in the first round. :rolleyes: That series is a toss up and might go the distance.

Boston should beat Detroit. They are just too good. Series only goes 5.

Pittsburgh will have no problems with Columbus. A sweep in 4 for the Pens.

Rangers and Philadelphia is a tough one. It could be a war or a quick out for either team. I give the edge to the Rangers in goal and the series.

Out West. Looking at the standings, the West has the power teams but they will have to fight it out and the winner of the conference may be too bruised to win the Cup...but that discussion will be tabled for a few weeks yet.

Anaheim will have no trouble with Dallas. Ducks in 5.

San Jose and LA...what a battle this will be. LA in 7.

Colorado and Minnesota. Avs have the better goaltending, defense and scorers and will take the series in 6.

Chicago and St. Louis. The Blues are very blue these days. Injuries have devastated their lineup. Can Miller make up for it? I don't think so but it will be a long series. Blackhawks in 7.

What say you?

NOTE: After the first round is over, I will continue on with Second round predictions.

Sean likes this.
  2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I won't make predictions of what WILL happen, but I will mention what I WANT to happen...actually, your summary is quite close to how I'd like to see things shape up, with two exceptions. For the first round eastern, I'd like to see Boston over Detroit, Pittsburgh over Columbus (but I'd be OK if Columbus advanced), Tampa over Montreal (sorry!), and Rangers over Philly. On the west side, i want Anaheim over Dallas, LA over San Jose, Minnesota over Avs, and St. Louis over Chicago. That would be what I would consider the best possible scenario. Once that is done, then the primary mission for round two is to see Detroit get eliminated, and Boston get eliminated. Detroit because I hate them, and Boston because they've been there enough lately. If that happens, the rest of round two and the final rounds are all gravy.

Sean likes this.
  3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Well, Boston or Detroit will be eliminated in the first round since they play each other. Like I said, Montreal and Tampa are a toss up. However, if you want Boston to lose in the second round, you want Montreal there. I think if Tampa gets past Montreal, they can beat Detroit but not Boston.

4. zackiedawg

It's a tough call - I do think Boston is clearly stronger than Detroit - but Detroit is one of those classic 'playoff' teams that can perform at a different level than during the season. And I still have nightmares when I think back to the 90's when Detroit was hoisting cup after cup after cup...so having them make it through the first round just sends chills up my spine that they can sneak through further. I don't have the same hate for Boston or Chicago, but they've each had their cups and both were there again last year, so I just want some newer blood in there. Montreal I don't have any deep hatred for, but it's hard to root for a team with 25 cups...if anyone's had enough, it's them. Dallas and Philly I've long disliked, going back decades, so I'd like to see them go. Anaheim and LA are two of my teams, so I definitely would love to see them advance, but I have no ill will for San Jose.

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Ok, since I am not a rooting fan this year (again) here is what i want

Boston
    Pitts
    Tampa
    Philly
    San Jose
    Colorado (no wins for Parise!)
    St. Louis
    Anaheim

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Your Tampa pick is looking very weak. At least the Albany Devils made the playoffs, John.

7. zackiedawg

Well I did say it was what I wanted, but not what I thought might actually happen! Tampa is indeed looking sad. I'm sure they're wishing they had Lecavalier and St. Louis just about now...

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Justin you can have LeCavalier back if you want; huge bust this year for the Orange and Black. Now barely getting minutes on the 4th line for the bargain price of $5mil/per. Flyers/ Rangers is gonna be a tough series but I am going with Flyers in 6 or 7. Winning in MSG yesterday just made it a best of 5 with 3 games in Philly. But then again, you know how I feel about my Fly-boys.

9. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Yup, but I echo what Justin said, it is what I wanted. I do like Brian Gionta, so I can root for the Habs.

Tim, I am totally behind the Orange right now! Anything to shut up the stupid Rags fans! Go Flyers!

10. zackiedawg

Lecavalier is one of those stories that happens all the time in NHL - you get moved from the team you've always known, and a line-mate who has been like a twin brother, and your game collapses. Put him back in TB, with St. Louis, and I bet his production would go way up again. You can't easily break up pairs like that - happened when they split Kariya and Selanne years ago, and Ron Frances was never quite the same without Jagr & Lemieux.

Montreal looks good to be the first to advance. Who next? Probably San Jose. Maybe Pitt, though they got a bit rattled by the Jackets. Colorado was looking good too, but a double-shut-out, OT game with a steal for Minn was surprising...I still think Colorado will right their train. St. Louis and Chicago has been fun - chippy games and very physical - I'd love to see St. Louis keep it up and push Chicago out of round one, but I'm not holding my breath.

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I have been kind of shocked at LA being blown out by San Jose. It might be the year for the Sharks.

Montreal is also surprising. I think Jon Cooper and his players from his AHL teams have been schooled. They played much better in the last game. They might finally have learned their lesson. Will be tough to overcome Carey Price down 3-0 in the series.

Tampa Bay did make very good moves to release Lecavalier and trade St. Louis. It was time. The Lightning should be set for a long run with the players they have.

Now, we'll see if Detroit can come back from getting outplayed in Game 3. I want that series to go, at least, 6 games. :)

12. firelily99

firelily99 Member

Boston would be my pick and on the outside possibility it would be the NY Rangers. Love the NHL playoffs, best playoff action of any sport!

13. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

If Giroux and company don't get it going, it's gonna be a quick exit. I still have faith but 1 goal from a D-man ain't gonna cut it in the playoffs.

14. Sean

Sean Administrator Staff Member

Pittsburg

15. zackiedawg

Looks like L.A. is indeed next to fall - they just haven't been in it this playoff season. Colombus has been a ball of fun - I really wouldn't mind the plucky little team taking down Pittsburgh even though Pitt is one of my teams - they certainly never give up. Anaheim is blowing it - if Getzlaf doesn't come back next game, it might spell bye-bye for the playoffs. Avs vs Minn has been fun too - very close games, lots of OT action...I'd prefer Minn but I suppose I'd be alright with CO mostly because of Patrick Roy, who I always liked even when I hated him and the Avs in the 90s. Blues and Chicago - darn, I thought St. Louis might have had it - if they went 3-1 they might indeed...but with it 2-2 I lose confidence and think Chicago might get by. Boston-Detroit? Man, two teams I don't want in the playoffs, but I'll keep pulling for Boston to knock Detroit off first. Rangers-Philly, I hope NY can get 3-1 up on the Flyers as that might be the death knell.

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

A few more teams punched their ticket to the next round. Let's see if Columbus can force a game 7 and the Avs can finish off the pesky Wild. Has LA turned the corner? I predicted a 7 game series...come on Kings, you can do it.

17. zackiedawg

Poor St. Louis - last year, they had a quick start and 2 game lead, only to end up losing 4 straight to the Kings. What happens this year? 2 wins up on Chicago, followed by 4 straight losses and out. Ouch!
    It'd take a miracle for LA to pull off 4-straight from 3 down...I still think SJ has it...but at least LA didn't go down like a sissy. CLB/Pitt and Colorado/Minn - I think I'd be OK with either one. I prefer Pitt and Minn, but CLB and Col have deserved respect and earned the right based on some gritty performances. So far, I'd have to rate CO -Minn as the best series - amazing action, every game is being played like game 7 of the Cup.

18. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Go Av's!!! No wins for Parise!!!!

19. zackiedawg

Oops! Looks like Parise got a win - even a crucial game-changing goal. Oh well! Personally, I think that series is exactly as it should be - Game 7, winner takes all. Completely deserved for both teams - they both should have a fair shot, as both have played spectacularly, the series has been incredible, overtimes, last minute goals, comebacks...everything NHL playoffs is about!

I'm also happy to see Kings/Sharks go to 7, though I still feel SJ will take it - just too hard to come back 4 straight for LA.

Congrats to Pitt - they are my team, but sad to see the Jackets go - they played hard.

20. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I still hope for a win in Colorado!