1ST BALLPARK TRIP OF 2012 PLANNED

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by gary, Dec 25, 2011.

1. gary

gary Member

just printed my ticket, 6/14/12, colorado rockies vs oakland athletics at coors field in denver. park #13 in the quest to get them all, incorporated into this trip will be a side trip to canyon city co, to ride the royal gorge scenic train, probably the twilight trip, should be very nice. none of the 2 park trips such as tampa/miami worked out for 2012, thanks mlb, all the trips that could be doubles are all home & away at any times i could get there. a redo of fenway might be in order as they have remodeled the park and it's been over 20 years since i last saw the green monster. so look to late june for another one of gary's travel threads

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

dude, sweet! ; definitely on my bucket list. ; when you come to philly for citizen's bank park, we might have to do a mini park-o-mania!

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Can I sign up for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Tim

granted!

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

When you're done with the major league parks, are you doing a minor league tour? ; Indy has a really nice AAA park downtown. ; I'll take you on a pub crawl to Hooters and the new Tilted Kilt! ; :D

6. gary

gary Member

yes i actually like minor and independent leagues better for all the in between inning entertainment, my mlb quest started with camden yards in bawlmur, it was the first of the retro parks and started the current movement for that style park, with the excellent sight lines, great food options and open mezzanines allowing food pickup without missing a lot of the game. at the major league level for me it's as much about the parks as the games, although i do appreciate a finely turned double play, and the fact that no matter where you watch pro ball, an infield ball, hit to the shortstop side, most of the time the runner is out by 1/2 step, cool coincidences abound in baseball. i've been a fan for my entire life, and a voracious reader of roger angell, george will, and most all other writers, i read and appreciated moneyball years before the film. and tim, while i have already done new philly, it's a great park to see a game, no reason we couldn't have a tmip ballgame meet

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great idea! ; I am in!

8. Tim

john and the rest of you, for your very own personal safety, and for the safety and comfort of those around you, i must insist that you please refrain from wearing anything mets/yankees-related. ; trust me on this one.

9. gary

gary Member

i always dress neutral for these out of town ballparks

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Twenty years ago, I would have been stupid enough to wear a Yankee hat and yell at other fans. ; I am a bit wiser now, so no worries here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. gary

gary Member

2ND BALLPARK TRIP IN PLANNING STAGES

spousal approval has been granted for a 2nd out of town ballpark quest, after a little investigation it turns out that mlb has made a 2 park 1 roundtrip flight doable after all, while doodling around for another possible park trip, i mapquested detroit to milwaukee, found it to be too far for an enjoyable trip, but milwaukee/minneapolis turned out to be only 331 miles, that's a hop, skip and a cup of coffee to an old road warrior such as i. so trip number 2 takes place 7/27-7/29. best of all it's easy transportation for most of it. friday 7/27 fly to minneapolis/st paul, in am, stay in hotel near airport, use light rail to twins vs indians that evening, next am pickup rental car, drive to milwaukee for brewers vs nationals that night, after game drive an hour outside milwaukee, hotel,next day drive back to minneapolis for late afternoon fly back to newark, train home, sleep sunday night in own bed by 10:00 pm, with only 2 hotel nights and only 2 day rental car, flights under 3 hours each way. and with fenway just an overnighter by ferry and amtrak for me it could be a 4 park year. ;

12. gary

gary Member

gary's great american pastime tour of 2012

as my good friend chico is fond of saying, baseball been berry berry good to me this year. i am fortunate to be making great strides towards my bucket list of 30 teams/30 parks

5/5/12 fenway park, baltimore orioles vs boston red sox, 1:10 pm, easy trip ferry to new london ct, amtrak to boston reverse to home

5/18/12 progressive field, miami marlins vs cleveland indians, 7:05 pm, short flight to cleveland from jfk
    5/19/12, comerica park, pittsburgh pirates vs detroit tigers, 7;05 PM, short flight from cleveland
    5/20 am flight home to jfk

6/1/12 nationals park, atlanta braves vs washington nationals, 7:05 pm, another amtrak trip, dc from ny by train is so much cheaper than driving and takes just about the same time as driving, with almost hourly northeast corridor service
    side trip to air & space museum annex out near dulles should be a real treat

6/14/12 coors field, oakland athletic vs colorado rockies, 1:10 pm, evening flight from newark 6/13/12
    return flight to newark sunday am after some additional colorado sightseeing and train riding

7/27/12 miller park, washington nationals vs milwaukee brewers, 7:10 pm, another easy flight from laguardia
    7/28/12, target field, cleveland indians vs minnesota twins, 6:10 pm, short am flight from milwaukee to minnesota
    7/29/12, sleep in, 12:00 flight to laguardia, supper at home

so not bad progress on the goal, only 2 repeat teams, all good seats because i purchased most of them on the first day the teams opened up single game ticket sales. other than denver no flights longer than ny to orlando in time. mass transit in much of the trips, only 3 rental cars in all this. and i may if things break right in august get in another last minute cincinnatti trip

PLAY BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. ddindy

Gary, sounds like a lot of fun. ; Shooting trains is Colorado is always a lot of fun. ; If you're lucky enough to get to Cincinnati, let me know. ; It's only 90 minutes from my house, so I can drive down say hello. ; If it's on a weekend, maybe Dr. Jim will make the trip, too.

14. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Okay, this is kind of OT, but you reminded me of it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gdMmk7IVkg[/youtube]

15. ddindy

Nice, Roger. ; Although the story would have been better if they had intended to go to Cincinnati and ended up in the Mistake By The Lake. ; ;)

16. gary

gary Member

Coming to you via iPad, while riding Amtrak northeast regional train #151, coming into Kingston rhode island. Free wifi on train is not too bad, cell connect so a little slow, but pretty steady connect.
    Fenway park this afternoon, sox vs orioles, a little overcast, but that means no. Harsh shadows. Photos hopefully by tomorrow.

17. Paul

Paul Member

have fun gary, hopefully the sun will come out a little. ; What are you shooting with at Fenway?

18. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Sounds like fun! ; Enjoy! ; Cant wait to see what you get!

19. gary

gary Member

Panny gh2, i was tempted to bring the mk3, but i can get more reach in an inconspicuous package with the panny. Plus i meant it about thafor most tripst being my travel rig for most trips. Mk3 for pixelmania of course
    Sox finally scored triple by sweeney drives in 1 bawlmur 8 sox 1

20. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

That's a winning lineup you have there Gary. ; ;D ; Enjoy!